International Affairs FY2022
Category:Standing Committees of the University Senate
Chair: Haiying Long, Psychology & Research in Education (2024)
Faculty: Julius Kyakuwa, Music Education (2024)
Faculty: Kwangok Song, C&T (2022)
Faculty: Whitney Baker, Libraries (2022) - Sabbatical spring 2022
Staff: Sunita Gandhi, Watson Library (2024)
Staff: Aramis Watson, Student Housing (2022)
Ex-officio, Charlie Bankart, Associate Vice Provost, International Programs
FY2022 INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE CHARGES
Approved by SenEx: June 3, 2021
Approved by University Senate: September 9, 2021
International Affairs: This committee works to improving the international dimension of KU by expanding opportunities and monitoring success of incoming international students and by promoting, expanding, and enhancing opportunities for KU students, faculty, and staff to have international experiences.
For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx Chair Paola Sanguinetti.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, please contact the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 29, 2022.
FY2022 Standing charges:
- Develop contact with the leadership of International Student Association and organizations and international student senators.
- Continue to review and as needed make recommendations on how the University may better accommodate access of International Student’s to supportive services.
- As needed review and provide input on new policies that relate to international studies, research, teaching, and exchange programs.
- As needed review and provide input on new policies that relate to international studies, research, and teaching, received from SenEx and the Policy Office.
- Continue to assess and as needed make recommendations on how the University may better acknowledge and support international students and incorporate cross-cultural competencies within the university’s diversity equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB) mission and initiatives.
- Review the International Student Fee and how it is utilized.
FY2022 Specific Charges
- Support and provide input to the Steering Committee of the Office of the Provost’s ACE Internationalization Lab as it prepares reports and recommendations to university leadership regarding the appropriate governance procedures that should apply to new University policies and other matters affecting international studies, research, teaching, and exchange.
- In consultation with the KU Office of Integrity and Compliance, review and provide recommendations to SenEx regarding the development or implementation of policies proposed by the Office of Global Operations & Security (GOS) that will affect international studies, research, teaching, and exchange.
- In consultation with the KU Office of Integrity and Compliance and University Senate leadership, identify ways to ensure KUIA’s direct and continued leadership in public communications and the development of policies that relate to international affairs. Promote greater visibility for KUIA with the Office of the Chancellor and greater engagement of KUIA by GOS with respect to all matters pertaining to international affairs and foreign nationals at KU.
- Review final report and action plans from the Office of the Provost’s ACE Internationalization Lab and provide recommendations to SenEx regarding how to promote KU’s internationalization efforts and future strategy.
- Review the COVID-19 survey results obtained by the committee in FY2021 and integrate these findings into its report and recommendations with respect to other Standing and Specific Charges.