Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities FY2022
Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities
Committee:Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities
Category:Standing Committees of the Faculty Senate
Chair: Emma Scioli, Classics (2022)
Larry Davidow, Pharmacy Practice (2022)
Patricia Gaston, Journalism (2022)
Amalia Monroe-Gulick, Libraries (2023)
Robert Schwaller, History (2023)
Scott Whisenant, Business (2024)
Kevin McCannon, Sociology, (2024)
Approved by FacEx: June 7, 2021
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 23, 2021
This committee monitors the implementation of policies concerning faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities, reviews and develops policy proposals on these issues, and communicates with faculty concerning their rights, privileges, and responsibilities.
For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Rémy Lequesne.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance website.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, please contact Kathy Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 29, 2022.
FY2022 As circumstances require:
- Monitor the implementation of university policies related to the rights and responsibilities of the faculty, including the following general areas (1) appointments, promotions, granting of tenure, and non-reappointments; (2) merit evaluations, rewards and sabbatical leaves; (3) protection of the faculty’s right to privacy; and (4) intellectual property. Review all current policy statements regarding these matters to ensure that they are adequate, appropriate, and readily available to all faculty members. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Respond to inquiries and address issues regarding faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities (as they arise).
- Communicate with representatives of the AAUP regarding their concerns relating to faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
FY2022 Specific charges:
- Be prepared to review recommendations from Ad-Hoc Committee that is reviewing and suggesting revisions to the Procedures of the Faculty Rights Board for Hearing Cases Involving Dismissal of a Tenured Faculty Member. (attached)
- Be prepared to review recommendations from Ad-Hoc Committee that is reviewing and suggesting revisions to the USRR VIII Procedures for Program Discontinuance Policy
- Review and provide recommendations from Ad-Hoc Committee that reviewed the Staff Senate’s request to reorganize the University Senate (attached.)
- Review USRR draft Absent Policy (attached)
- FRPR work with CTE and Vice Provost Chris Brown, to develop procedures that ensure the confidentiality of instructor personnel records are not compromised by the use of online student evaluations.
- Work with the Ad Hoc group on Non-Tenure Track Faculty, to determine policies that will facilitate and expedite the following goals:
- Convert NTTF single-year contracts to multi-year appointments (such as the Teaching Professor track)
- Mandate that units provide minimum 3 months advance notice to NTTF re: (non)renewal of contracts.
- Review drafts of the Academic Workload policy, provide input to the Vice Provost for Faculty Development, and advise FacEx on whether FRPR supports the policy.