Standards and Procedures on Promotion and Tenure FY2013
Standards and Procedures on Promotion and Tenure FY2013
Committee:Standards and Procedures on Promotion and Tenure
Category:Standing Committees of the Faculty Senate
Under the newly revised standards and procedures for promotion and tenure (FSRR Article VI), this committee provides guidance for units in the development of unit level promotion and tenure criteria and procedures and reviews those documents for ensure compliance with university requirements.
Membership: shall be composed of six members of the faculty appointed for staggered three-year terms. The Vice Provost for Faculty Development and a representative from the Faculty Executive Committee shall serve as ex-officio, non-voting members of the committee.
Chair: William Keel, Germanic Languages/Literatures, (2013)
Rick Levy, Law (2013)
Debra Smith, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, (2013)
Peter Gegenheimer, Molecular Biosciences (2015) (reappointed to 3year term)
Matthew Jacobson, Film and Media Studies (2015)
Susan Craig, Libraries (2015)
Ex-officio: Jennifer Gleason, FacEx Representative
Mary Lee Hummert, Vice Provost, Faculty Development
Approved by FacEx: 5/30/2012
Approved by Faculty Senate: 9/13/2012
- Contact FacEx chair Andrew Torrance (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss recommendations for action on the charges.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as soon as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by 03/26/13 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the names of committee members and submit the report by April 1, 2013. If the committee still expects to conduct business after April 1, please submit a report by April 1 and later submit any addenda that may be appropriate.
- Review department and school criteria and procedures for promotion and tenure pursuant to section 184.108.40.206 of the Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations for consistency with the requirements of Article VI of the rules and regulations, and approve criteria, guidelines, and procedures that are consistent with those requirements. Identify inconsistencies and coordinate with the Provost’s office to provide feedback to departments, the College, schools, and other administrative units to correct problems. Submit issues that cannot be resolved to FacEx as provided in section 220.127.116.11 (ongoing).
- Review guidelines and forms developed by the Provost, and procedures developed by the UCPT pursuant to 18.104.22.168 for consistency with the requirements of Article VI of the rules and regulations, and identify problems or concerns. Provide comments to the Provost and UCPT, and report issues that cannot be resolved to FacEx as provided in section 22.214.171.124 (ongoing).
- Promote and facilitate compliance with the standards and procedural requirements of Article VI of the Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations by maintaining and disseminating guidance documents for departments, the College, schools, and other administrative units (ongoing).
- Monitor the implementation of Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations concerning Promotion and Tenure. Identify issues and problems as they arise and report recommendations to FacEx as needed (ongoing).
- Based on the knowledge and expertise of SPPT, consider the impact of different disciplinary expectations on a possible post-tenure review process. Report to FacEx and the FRPR Committee by November 15, 2012.
Contact Governance office 864-5169, email@example.com
FY-13 STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES ON PROMOTION AND TENURE (SPPT)
Final Report for AY 2012-2013
1) The full committee met nine times during this academic year. The approved minutes of each meeting were submitted to the Governance Office as required. In addition, Levy and Keel met with FacEx on the question of post-tenure review, the Department of Curriculum & Teaching as well as the Article VI Task Force as consultants. Keel also met with administrators in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences regarding its subordinate units as well as by telephone with Rodolfo Torres concerning the subunits of RGS which conduct promotion reviews.
2) In addition to fulfilling the committee’s standing charges in regard to FSRR Article VI, the committee addressed the question of post-tenure review as a special charge and submitted a statement in that regard to FacEx following the committee’s October 25 meeting.
3) Under the standing charges of the committee, the committee reviewed and approved the unit criteria and procedures for the following units—in some cases approval occurred after revisions were made following the initial review by the committee and resubmitted for review:
In order of approval:
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Department of Geology (pending final revisions)
Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Department of Visual Arts
Department of Anthropology
Department of Special Education
Department of Health, Sports & Exercise Science
Center for Global & international Studies
Department of Psychology
Department of American Studies
School of Music (revision)
Department of History
Guidelines and Forms developed by the Provost for AY 2013-2014
Department of Aerospace Engineering
Department of Chemical & Petroleum Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Department of Architecture
Department of Urban Planning
Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Department of Curriculum & Teaching
Environmental Studies Program
Department of Civil, Environmental & Architectural Engineering
Department of Design
4) Under the standing charges of the committee, the committee reviewed and recommended revisions in the criteria and procedures for the following unit:
School of Social Welfare
5) As the enclosed “Status Report on Reviews—May 2013” indicates, SPPT has now completed its initial review and approval of unit policies for all units conducting promotion and/or tenure review at the University of Kansas with the following exceptions (units which must still confirm final revisions are included in those formally approved):
School of Social Welfare – reviewed and revision requested
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures – not submitted
Department of French & Italian – not submitted
Research & Graduate Studies – 11 or 12* subunits – not submitted
*Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis may be transferred to RGS from CLAS
6) The chair would like to express his sincere appreciation to the members of the committee who devoted their time, effort and expertise to make this a successful year: Susan Craig, Peter Gegenheimer, Jenny Gleason, Mary Lee Hummert, Matt Jacobson, Rick Levy, & Deb Smith.
William D. Keel, Chair
Faculty Senate Committee on Standards & Procedures for Promotion & Tenure