Task Force on Tuition Assistance for Employees, Partners, and Dependents FY2012-2013
Donna Ginther, Professor, Economics – FY12 - FY 2013 chair
Jennifer Gleason, Assoc. Professor, Ecology & Evol. Biology (appointed 3/2012)
Unclassified Staff representative
Institute for Policy & Social Research
University Support Staff representative
Library Associate (appointed 3/2012)
Drew Harger (appointed 3/2012)
Budget Management and Fiscal Services
Employment Manager/Research Liaison
Human Resources and Equal Opportunity
- Investigate the desirability of KU’s establishing a tuition assistance program for faculty and staff. Such assistance may include tuition waivers or tuition reductions, and the eligible students may include the dependents of faculty and staff members, the spouses and domestic partners of faculty and staff members, and/or faculty and staff members themselves.
- Ascertain such assistance provided by existing programs, such as the tuition assistance program for staff members and the Coca-Cola Scholarships.
- Identify a set or sets of peer institutions and ascertain which do, and which do not, currently have more comprehensive tuition-assistance programs.
- Estimate the likely annual cost and benefit of such a program for KU, and identify possible funding sources.
- Consider the desirability and feasibility of provisions for comparable benefits or other equal treatment for faculty and staff at KU who do not have partners or dependents, whose partners or dependents do not go to college, or whose partners or dependents go to college somewhere other than KU.
- If a more comprehensive tuition-assistance program seems desirable for KU, propose specific parameters for such a program. Parameters should address eligibility, degree of assistance, admission process waivers, and other policy details.