Planning and Resources FY2020
Planning and Resources (P&R): This committee provides the governance voice and works with administration officials and other governance bodies in the planning processes of the university, including such matters as institutional strategic planning, tuition and related budgetary proposals, and the physical environment of the university campus.
The Planning and Resources Committee shall be composed of four faculty members serving staggered three-year terms, three representatives from the staff serving three year staggered terms, and two students, an undergraduate and a graduate serving one-year terms, appointed by the Student Body President. The Chief Data Officer of Analytics & Institutional Research and the Senior Associate Vice Provost for Finance shall serve as ex-officio, non-voting members.
Chair: Kirk McClure (2020)
Faculty: Meredith Schung, Law (2021)
Faculty: Sara Morris, Libraries (2021)
Faculty: Andrea Herstowski, Design (2022)
Staff: Heather MacBean, Libraries (2020)
Staff: Robert Waller, Budget Mgmt/Fiscal Services (2021)
Staff: Jason O’Connor, Business (2021)
Voting, Student: Zach Thomason
Voting, Graduate Student: Liza Kassebaum
Chief Data Officer, Analytics & Institutional Research, Nick Stevens
Senior Associate Vice Provost for Finance, Jason Hornberger
Approved by SenEx: May 28,2019
Approved by University Senate: September 12, 2019
For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx Chair Suzanne Valdez.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site .
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 24, 2020 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and submit the final report by April 17, 2020.
- Participate in the University’s planning processes by communicating with the Provost and the Provost’s senior staff on matters of capital strategic planning, infrastructure, IT resources, and sustainability, and examine how current financial circumstances (the health of the state economy, current university indebtedness, school-specific fees and charges, etc.) will influence such projects. Report issues and any recommendations for action to Sen Ex.
- Provide committee representation at budget meetings held by the Provost and the Provost’s senior staff to review planning reports and budgetary submissions made by the various units. Report issues and any recommendations to SenEx for consideration.
- Monitor enrollment trends and changes in tuition plans and their potential effects on enrollment and revenue generation.
- Report on the cost and benefit of offering in-state tuition to residents of border states. Include data regarding current schools that offer in-state tuition to residents of border states. Due February 1, 2020.
- Monitor the implementation of the new Budget Model. Report to SenEx regularly, how the new budget model is working.
- Review and report on the impact of unexpected revenue sources including but not limited to the sale of Oldfather Studio and the state budget.
- Work with the KS Union Director, David Mucci, requesting information regarding long term partnerships between the KS Union and outside contractors and consultants.
- Obtain and review Information regarding shared advertising with the various university affiliates.
- Review changes of graduate travel and research funding from the budget cuts. (See Governance Office for additional information)