Planning and Resources FY2021
Planning and Resources FY2021
Committee:Planning and Resources
Category:Standing Committees of the University Senate
Planning and Resources (P&R): This committee provides the governance voice and works with administration officials and other governance bodies in the planning processes of the university, including such matters as institutional strategic planning, tuition and related budgetary proposals, and the physical environment of the university campus.
The Planning and Resources Committee shall be composed of four faculty members serving staggered three-year terms, three representatives from the staff serving three year staggered terms, and two students, an undergraduate and a graduate serving one-year terms, appointed by the Student Body President. The Chief Data Officer of Analytics & Institutional Research and the Senior Associate Vice Provost for Finance shall serve as ex-officio, non-voting members.
Chair: Andrea Herstowski, Design (2022)
Faculty: Meredith Schnug, Law (2021)
Faculty: Sara Morris, Libraries (2021)
Faculty: David Slusky, Economics (2023)
Staff: Christy Imel, Kansas Public Radio (2023)
Staff: Robert Waller, Budget Mgmt/Fiscal Services (2021)
Staff: Jason O’Connor, Business (2021)
Voting, Student: Max Scheiber
Voting, Graduate Student: Hammad Hussain
Ex-officio: Chief Data Officer, Analytics & Institutional Research, Nick Stevens
Senior Associate Vice Provost for Finance, Jason Hornberger
Approved by SenEx: May 29, 2020
Approved by University Senate: September 10, 2020
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site .
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 23, 2021 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 30, 2021.
- Participate in the University’s planning processes by communicating with the Provost and the Provost’s senior staff on matters of capital strategic planning, infrastructure, IT resources, and sustainability, and examine how current financial circumstances (the health of the state economy, current university indebtedness, school-specific fees and charges, etc.) will influence such projects. Report issues and any recommendations for action to Sen Ex.
- Provide committee representation at budget meetings held by the Provost and the Provost’s senior staff to review planning reports and budgetary submissions made by the various units. Report issues and any recommendations to SenEx for consideration.
- Monitor enrollment trends and changes in tuition plans and their potential effects on enrollment and revenue generation.
- FY2021 Committee – Review the University of Kansas’ Financial Exigency policy found in USRR, Art VII. It was last reviewed by AP&P in FY16 and they did not suggest any changes at that time. USRR 7.5.1 states that “Every five years after the official acceptance of this document by the Chancellor, it shall be reviewed by the University administration and by a committee appointed by the University Senate Executive Committee. Either group may then suggest revisions to the document.” Any changes to the policy would ultimately go to the University Senate for a vote. (Attached)
- Follow up on the implementation and analysis of the Budget model and make recommendations.
- Review the Emergency Management Plan, including Emergency Authority Executive Policy Group and Emergency Operations Center, and recommend changes to include shared Governance in the future. Emergency Management Public Plan (PDF)
Report to SenEx by November 20, 2020.