Libraries: This committee works with KU libraries to develop long-range planning for and monitor the allocation of library resources, to promote communication with the library by students, faculty, and staff, to expand access to materials.
The University Committee on Libraries shall be composed of thirteen faculty members serving staggered three-year terms, including one representative each from the schools of Architecture and Urban Design, Business, Education, Engineering, Journalism and Mass Communications, Music, Pharmacy, and Social Welfare, and five representatives from the College (representing Natural and Mathematical Sciences, Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Humanities, School of the Arts, and International Studies). In addition, there shall be four student members serving one-year terms and two staff members appointed by the Provost and serving staggered three-year terms. At least one student member shall be a graduate student. The Committee shall also include the following non-voting, ex officio members: The Dean of the Libraries, the Law Librarian, and one each from the following library staff types, elected by their respective library governance body: university support staff, unclassified professional staff, and faculty.
Chair: Dorothy Hines, Education (2021)
Faculty: Germain Halegoua, Film and Media studies, College, School of the Arts (2021)
Faculty: Rami Zeedan, Jewish Studies, CLAS (2023)
Faculty: Sheyda Jahanbani, Humanities (2021)
Faculty: Remy Lequense, Civil/Env/Arch Engineering (2022)
Faculty: Yvonne Chen, Journalism (2021)
Faculty: Suman Mallik, Business (2023)
Faculty Cambrey Nguyen, Parmacy (2022)
Faculty: Nancy Jo Kepple, Social Welfare (2022)
Faculty: Albert Sheu-Resigned, need replacement, College, Natural Sciences & Mathematics (2022)
Faculty: Tom Allen, Architecture (2023)
Voting, Student: Connor Wilcox
Voting, Student: Sophia Pascente
Voting, Graduate Student: Elizabeth Leatherman
Ex-Officio-Non Voting Members:
Kevin L. Smith, Dean of Libraries
Pam Crawford, Law Librarian, Law Library
Mary Ann Baker, Univ. Support Staff library staff
Chris Bohling, Unclassified Library Staff
Betsaida Reyes, Library Faculty
Approved by SenEx: May 29, 2020
Approved by University Senate: September 10, 2020
For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx Chair Sanjay Mishra.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, please contact Ellen Slikker at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 30, 2021.
- Monitor and support the Libraries’ long-range planning and allocation of resources—staff, physical space, equipment, collections, digitally-based information, etc.—in light of the needs of different academic disciplines and the budget situation. Assist in communicating about planning resource allocations to support teaching (including both undergraduate and graduate) and research. Report issues and recommendations for action to SenEx. (ongoing)
- Assess and assist with the effectiveness of communication between the Libraries and students, faculty, and staff, about topics including but not limited to library-based instruction in classes and academic programs in support of university-wide learner outcomes. Report issues and recommendations for action to SenEx. (ongoing)
- Obtain a report from the Open Access advisory board concerning activities, and long-range planning for Open Access at KU.
- FY2023: According to the Open Access Policy for University of Kansas Scholars, the policy should be reviewed every three years. The policy was last reviewed and updated in FY2020.
- Request a list of journals that are being cancelled. Review and provide comments regarding the list.
- Review current Library Consortiums and the possibilities of establishing a Library Consortium within the KBOR Universities.
Final Reports and Outcomes—