Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities FY2019
Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities (FRPR):This committee monitors the implementation of policies concerning faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities, reviews and develops policy proposals on these issues, and communicates with faculty concerning their rights, privileges, and responsibilities.
Membership: 7 members of the Faculty serving staggered three year terms.
Chair: Joe Harrington, English, (2020) (sabbatical spring 2019)
Fran Devlin, Libraries, (2019)
Eugene Parker, Education, (2019)
Uma Outka, Law, (2019) (sabbatical fall 2018)
Nils Gore, Architecture Design, (2020)
Chris Crandall, Psychology (2021)
Dale Urie, Humanities (2021)
Amalia Monroe Gulick, Libraries (one year appointment to fill fall semester for Uma and spring for Joe, also chair for spring 2019)
Approved by FacEx: May 24, 2018
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 6, 2018
For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Kirk McClure.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by April 2, 2019 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by
As circumstances require:
- Monitor the implementation of university policies related to the rights and responsibilities of the faculty, including the following general areas (1) appointments, promotions, granting of tenure, and non-reappointments; (2) merit evaluations, rewards and sabbatical leaves; (3) protection of the faculty’s right to privacy; and (4) intellectual property. Review all current policy statements regarding these matters to ensure that they are adequate, appropriate, and readily available to all faculty members. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Respond to inquiries and address issues regarding faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities (as they arise).
- Communicate with representatives of the AAUP regarding their concerns relating to faculty rights, privileges and responsibilities. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Work with FacEx and the Administration to implement or alter the FSRR Article VII amendments, as appropriate and recommend any additional changes to FSRR or FRB procedures to make the appeals process fairer and develop materials to inform faculty of their rights under the current FSRRs.
- Work with Vice Provost for Faculty Development Chris Brown, KU AAUP, and others to compile a “census” of non-tenure track faculty, including units that employ them, job titles, FTE percentages, and the number of contracts that are “contingent upon funding” and make recommendations, if appropriate, based on this data.
- Work with SenEx and the Administration to implement or alter the USRR Article X amendment, as appropriate, and consult with faculty and the Endowment Association on the scope and structure an implementation process.
- Work with FacEx and the Administration to implement or alter the FSRR Article V amendment, as appropriate. Consult with UCCC regarding their ongoing revision of the Core goals. Examine Core recertification process and make recommendations, as appropriate. Draft language that articulates governance’s relationship to the Core and the UCCC.
- Design and conduct a survey instrument or series of focus groups on the Core in the fall semester. This survey or focus groups should include a solicitation for suggestions for revising the (re)certification process; the structure of the Core; or the way it is administered.