Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities FY2017
Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities (FRPR):This committee monitors the implementation of policies concerning faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities, reviews and develops policy proposals on these issues, and communicates with faculty concerning their rights, privileges, and responsibilities.
Membership: 8 members of the Faculty serving staggered three year terms.
Chair: Rick Hale, Aerospace Engineering, (2017)
Mary Banwart, Communications Studies (2018)
Sean Seyer, Humanities & Western Civ (2018)
Dean Williams, Institute for Lifespan Studies, (2018)
Fran Devlin, Libraries, (2019)
Joe Harrington, English, (2017)
Eugene Parker, Education, (2019)
Uma Outka, Law, (2019)
Approved by FacEx: June 1, 2016
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 8, 2016
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Pam Keller at email@example.com.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 7, 2017 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 14, 2017.
As circumstances require:
- Monitor the implementation of university policies related to the rights and responsibilities of the faculty, including the following general areas (1) appointments, promotions, granting of tenure, and non-reappointments; (2) merit evaluations, rewards and sabbatical leaves; (3) protection of the faculty’s right to privacy; and (4) intellectual property. Review all current policy statements regarding these matters to ensure that they are adequate, appropriate, and readily available to all faculty members. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Respond to inquiries and address issues regarding faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities (as they arise).
- Communicate with representatives of the AAUP regarding their concerns relating to faculty rights, privileges and responsibilities. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Monitor the implementation of the KU Core Curriculum by administering FRPR’s survey again in FY17. Report issues to FacEx.
- Assess the relationship of UCCC to Faculty Governance. Consider the appropriateness or efficacy of Governance review of – or involvement in – UCCC decision-making. Make recommendations if necessary to ensure faculty have appropriate input in the development and supervision of academic requirements.
- Review procedures for discovery of evidence in cases where someone outside the University alleges a faculty member has engaged in scholarly misconduct. In such cases, it is necessary to balance the rights of faculty to directly face their accusers with the institutional risks of releasing personnel-related material. Make recommendations on how USRR 9.1.7 might be amended to better protect accused faculty members as well as faculty who hear these scholarly misconduct cases.
- Construct a general statement for inclusion in the Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations which will mitigate conflicts of interest in all hearings related to faculty members discipline and/or dismissal. Report to FacEx by December 1, 2016.
- Consider, then if appropriate, propose the inclusion of the AAUP 1970 Interpretative Statement in FSRR 6.1.2 to the FacEx.
- Consider, then if appropriate, propose the inclusion of the AAUP 1958 Statement on Procedural Standards in Faculty Dismissal Proceedings to FacEx.
- Consider, then if appropriate, propose the inclusion of the AAUP 1975 Statement on Teaching Evaluation in FSRR 184.108.40.206 (or other appropriate location within the FSRRs) to FacEx.
- Report to FacEx by December 1, 2016.