Faculty Rights Board FY2022
Chair Michael Hoeflich (2024)
Eng Remy Lequesne, Civil/Environ/Arch Eng. (2023)
CLAS- AAUP Joe Harrington, English, AAUP representative (2024)
Music Roberta Schwartz (2024)
CLAS Bozenna Pasik-Duncan (2024)
FY2022 Faculty Rights Board-FRB
Approved by FacEx: June 7, 2021
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 23, 2021
The Faculty Rights Board shall have jurisdiction over any claim or charge by a member of the faculty that an administrative action; (i) violates the tenure rights of a tenured member of the faculty; (ii) constitutes a termination without proper cause of the services of a non‑tenured member of the faculty prior to the end of the term of the appointment; (iii) violates the established University procedures for the appointment, promotion, reappointment, or non-reappointment of a faculty member that prevented a fair consideration of the case; (iv) violates the academic freedom of a tenured or non‑tenured member of the faculty; (v) constitutes appeal under Article VI of the Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations from a negative promotion and/or tenure recommendation based on demonstrable application of improper standards or criteria; (vi) constitutes a censure, suspension or dismissal pursuant to Article VI of the Code of Faculty Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct without proper cause; or (vii) violates any faculty rights enumerated in Article III of the Code of Faculty Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct, which is not specifically referred to herein. In its role as a hearing panel, all Committee members are expected to behave as objective arbiters of the evidence presented, neither advocating for nor against the individual bringing the case nor personally participating in the preparation and presentation of a particular case. Additionally, Committee members’ comments and questions are expected to focus on the substance of the case.
For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Rémy Lequesne.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, please contact Kathy Reed at email@example.com
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and submit the final report by April 29, 2022.
FY2022 Standing charges:
- Hear promptly all concerns and claims brought to the attention of the committee by members of the faculty regarding faculty rights, including promotion, tenure, non-reappointment, and academic freedom, pursuant to Article XIII, Section 3 of the University Senate Code and Article VI of the FSRR. Report issues or problems of concern to governance to FacEx, with due regard for the confidentiality of individual cases (ongoing).
FY2022 Specific charges:
- Be prepared to review recommendations from the Ad-Hoc Committee reviewing the Procedures of the Faculty Rights Board for Hearing Appeals involving Administrative Action of Dismissal of a Tenured Faculty Member, along with any recommendations from FRPR.