Faculty Rights Board FY2015
Faculty Rights Board FY2015
Committee:Faculty Rights Board-FRB
Category:Standing Committees of the Faculty Senate
Faculty Rights Board (FRB) This board is an adjudicatory body that hears disputes and makes recommendations concerning alleged violations of faculty rights, including academic freedom, tenure and related rights, and procedural safeguards in university processes.
Membership: five tenured members of the Faculty. One member with a Juris Doctorate degree, two members from the faculty at large, and a representative from the AAUP shall serve staggered three-year terms. A representative from the Faculty Executive Committee shall serve a one-year term
Chair: Steven Maynard-Moody, School of Public Affairs & Administration (2016)
FacEx Rep: Lisa Friis, Engineering (2016)
Bill Westerbeke, Law (2015)
Jonathan Clark, History, AAUP representative (2015)
Paul Outka, English, (2017)
Approved by FacEx: June 3, 2014
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 11, 2014
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Jim Carothers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as soon as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by 03/31/15 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the names of committee members and submit the report by April 1, 2015. If the committee still expects to conduct business after April 1, please submit a report by April 1 and later submit any addenda that may be appropriate.
- Hear promptly all concerns and claims brought to the attention of the committee by members of the faculty regarding faculty rights, including promotion, tenure, non-reappointment, and academic freedom, pursuant to Article XV, Section 3 of the University Senate Code and Article VI of the FSRR. Report issues or problems of concern to governance to FacEx, with due regard for the confidentiality of individual cases (ongoing).
- Be prepared to revisit policies and procedures for faculty dismissal proceedings (formerly proposed FSRR 7.3.4) and related issues.Make recommendations to FacEx.
- Be prepared to revisit the Faculty Code of Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct and related issues.
A recommendation regarding FSRR 7.3 was forwarded to FacEx.