Faculty Research FY2021
Faculty Research FY2021
Category:Standing Committees of the Faculty Senate
This committee monitors and communicates with administration personnel and governance bodies concerning support for and policies concerning faculty research activities, including the allocation of GRF funds, the implementation of the restricted research policy, and other issues affecting the research environment at KU.
Membership: Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies; twelve members of the Faculty serving staggered three-year terms, with not more than one member of any department; one graduate student member elected by the Executive Committee of the Graduate Student Council, who shall participate only in the policy-making functions of the committee; and the Associate Vice Provost for Research who shall be a non‑voting member and who shall serve as secretary of the committee.
Chair: Steven Maynard-Moody, School of Public Affairs & Admin. (2021), email@example.com
Paulette Spencer, Mech. Eng. (2021) firstname.lastname@example.org
Abel Chikanda, Geography & Atmo Science (2021) email@example.com
Liqin Zhao, Pharmacology & Toxicology (2022), firstname.lastname@example.org
Lea Currie, Libraries (2022), email@example.com
Celka Straughn, Spencer Art Museum (2022) firstname.lastname@example.org
Barbara Kerr, Educational Psychology (2022), email@example.com
Blake Wilson, Law Library, (2023), firstname.lastname@example.org
Meredith Bagwell-Gray, Social Welfare (2023), email@example.com
Michael Engel, Ecol &Evol Bio/Nat Hist Biodiv (2023)
Satya Mandal, Math, (2023)
Dorice Elliott, English, (2023)
Simon Atkinson, Vice Chancellor for Research, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ex-officio: Belinda Sturm, Associate Vice Chancellor Research, email@example.com
Graduate Student Representative: TBD
Approved by FacEx: June 5, 2020
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 10, 2020
For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Lua Yuille.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, please contact Kathy Reed at email@example.com
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and submit the final report by April 30, 2021.
- Monitor the administration of the General Research Fund (GRF) and make recommendations, as needed, to ensure its effectiveness and appropriate utilization.
- FY2022 Committee: Conduct three-year review of the GRF in spring 2022. The FSRC should pay particular attention to the entities’ different eligibility requirements for the competition (some entities accept applications from tenured or tenure-track faculty only while at least one other entity accepts applications from lecturers) in determining the degree to which entities are making effective use of the GRF. Reevaluate the allocation method for the GRF (see analysis in FSRC FY19 Final Report).
- Monitor the implementation of policies and procedures for determining which proposals will go forward in cases where the number of grant applications that may be submitted from the University is limited. Identify problems or concerns, and report issues and recommendations to FacEx. Policy located in Policy Library, Institutional Endorsement of Proposals when Submissions are Limited by External Funding Agency: Institutional Endorsement
- Ask Vice Chancellor for Research Atkinson to update FSRC on plans and actions to enhance KU’s research infrastructure and engagement and how these plans and actions help secure our standing within AAU.
- Ask VC Atkinson to report to FSRC on how KU research is responding to the Covid-19 shut-down and its aftershocks.
- Report on what implications Research faced due to the pandemic, and the closing of campus.