Faculty Research FY2019
Faculty Research FY2019
Category:Standing Committees of the Faculty Senate
This committee monitors and communicates with administration personnel and governance bodies concerning support for and policies concerning faculty research activities, including the allocation of GRF funds, the implementation of the restricted research policy, and other issues affecting the research environment at KU.
Membership: Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies; twelve members of the Faculty serving staggered three-year terms, with not more than one member of any department; one graduate student member elected by the Executive Committee of the Graduate Student Council, who shall participate only in the policy-making functions of the committee; and the Associate Vice Provost for Research who shall be a non‑voting member and who shall serve as secretary of the committee.
Chair: Becci Akin, Social Welfare (2020)
Yan Bing Zhang, Communication Studies (Spring 2019)
Minyoung Kim, Business (Fall 2019)
John Keating, Economics (2019)
Diane Fourny, Humanities (2019)
Ivana Radovanovic, Anthropology (2019)
Sherri Brown, Libraries (2020)
Sarah Robins, Philosophy (2020)
Peter Bobkowski, Journalism (2020)
Paulette Spencer, Mech. Eng. (2021)
Abel Chikanda, Geography & Atmo Science (2021)
Steven Maynard-Moody, Public Admin/Govt/PRI (2021)
James Thorp, Kansas Biological Survey (2019)
John Colombo, Interim Vice Chancellor for Research
Belinda Sturm, Associate Vice Chancellor Research
Graduate Student Representative: TBD
Approved by FacEx: May 24, 2018
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 6, 2018
For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Kirk McClure.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by April 2, 2019 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 15, 2019.
- FY2019: Monitor the administration of the General Research Fund (GRF) and make recommendations, as needed, to ensure its effectiveness and appropriate utilization. Report to FacEx by 3/8/19. (see specific charge #1.)
- Monitor the implementation of policies and procedures for determining which proposals will go forward in cases where the number of grant applications that may be submitted from the University is limited. Identify problems or concerns, and report issues and recommendations to FacEx. Policy located in Policy Library, Institutional Endorsement of Proposals when Submissions are Limited by External Funding Agency: Institutional Endorsement
- Conduct three-year review of the GRF in spring 2019. The FSRC should pay particular attention to the entities’ different eligibility requirements for the competition (some entities accept applications from tenured or tenure-track faculty only while at least one other entity accepts applications from lecturers) in determining the degree to which entities are making effective use of the GRF. Reevaluate the allocation method for the GRF (see analysis in FSRC FY17 Final Report).
- Evaluate the execution of the University’s Restricted Research Policy (Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations, Article IX) in handling requests for exceptions.
FY2019 Final Report - Pending