Faculty Research FY2015
Committee: Faculty Research
Committee Category: Standing Committees of the Faculty Senate
Fiscal Year: FY2015
Fiscal Year: 2015
- Chair: Larry Hoyle, Institute for Policy & Social Research, (2015)
- Yo Jackson, Applied Behavioral Sciences, (2017)
- Atanas Stefanov, Mathematics, (2017)
- Catherine Preston, Film and Media Studies (2015)
- Yvonnes Chen, Journalism (2017)
- Derek D. Reed, Applied Behavioral Science (2015)
- Jeffrey Krise, Pharmaceutical Chemistry (2015)
- Dean Williams, Bureau of Child Research, (2015)
- Barbara Phipps, Curriculum & Teaching, (2015)
- Dan Spencer, Business (2016)
- Belinda Sturm, Civil/Environ/Arch Engineering (2016)
- Mahbub, Rashid, Architecture, Design & Planning (2016)
- Mary Lee Hummert, Interim, Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies
- Ex-officio: Rodolfo Torres, Associate Vice Chancellor, KUCR
- TBD, Graduate Student Representative,
- Monitor the administration of the General Research Fund (GRF) and make recommendations, as needed, to ensure its effectiveness and appropriate utilization. Report to FacEx concerning actions taken with respect to this charge by 03/05/15.(FY2016 3 year GRP ew).
- Monitor the execution of the University’s Restricted Research Policy (Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations, Article IX) in handling requests for exceptions.
- Serve as the body to hear faculty appeals of research rejected by the restricted research committee or by the Vice Provost for Research, as specified in the Restricted Research Policy.
- Monitor the implementation of policies and procedures for determining which proposals will go forward in cases where the number of grant applications that may be submitted from the University is limited. Identify problems or concerns, and report issues and recommendations to FacEx.
- Continue working with the ACEC (Academic Computing and Electronic Communications) Committee to process needs for and issues with computing and telecommunications for research, including recommendations for sustainable policies and procedures and monitoring ongoing and new developments in IT. Report issues and recommendations to FacEx as needed.
- Continue to consider issues related to the use of current systems for external evaluations of the University and internal research evaluations for departments, programs, and faculty. Explore how these metrics are impacting faculty research, research opportunities and the understanding of faculty research profiles.
- Consider the usefulness, challenges, and other issues relevant to:
- How the Provost’s Office uses Academic Analytics (AA) to compare units across campus (e.g., in relation to budgets);
- How deans use AA to compare to peers and across campus;
- How AA may be used as part of review processes, in particular post-tenue review;
- How AA is used for funding opportunities; and
- how useful AA is for research centers (e.g., for cross-disciplinary work).
- Review standing charges and recommend modifications.
- Report to FacEx by; February 1, 2015.