Faculty Compensation FY2013
Committee: Faculty Compensation
Committee Category: Standing Committees of the Faculty Senate
Fiscal Year: FY2013
Fiscal Year: 2013
- Chair: Mahbub Rashid, Architecture & Urban Planning, (2013)
- Cindy Colwell Dunn, Music (2014)
- Ron Hui, EECS (2014)
- Jeanne Klein, Theatre, (2013)
- Frances Devlin, Libraries, (2013)
- Michael Engel, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology (2013)
- Ex-officio member, Mary Lee Hummert, Office of the Provost
- Continue to monitor the level and distribution of faculty salaries to identify issues and concerns. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Continue the cooperative communication between the Chairs of the Planning and Resources and Faculty Compensation committees to facilitate coordination on issues of mutual concern. Report issues and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- In order to make a recommendation about merit pay policies to accommodate periods without merit increases, review the following documents:
- The University Termination Study.
- A representative sample of merit pay policies of individual departments/schools.
- Comparative data on faculty salary and merit pay from other universities during the same period.
- As faculty recruitment and retention is one of the strategies in the Provost’s Bold Aspirations Strategic Plan, discuss the following issues:
- What criteria are the Provost/Deans using to retain faculty?
- How is any additional compensation for retention determined?
- To what extent are criteria for compensation fair and equitable across departments and schools?
- Under what circumstances, if any, would the Provost/Deans not seek to retain a faculty member and for what reasons?
- Consider the implications of possible post-tenure review on faculty compensation. Report to FacEx and the FRPR Committee by November 15, 2012.