Athletic Committee FY2022
Committee: Athletic Committee
Committee Category: Standing Committees of the University Senate
Fiscal Year: FY2022
Fiscal Year: 2022
- Chair:Jordan Bass (2022)
- Faculty: Megan Greene, History (2024)
- Faculty: Lisa Bergeron, Business (2023)
- Faculty: Florence DiGennaro, ABSC (2023)
- Faculty: Jerry Crawford, Journalism (2022)
- Faculty: Scott Harris, Communications (2024)
- Staff: Heather Abernathy, Engineering Administration (2022)
- Staff: Kelly Banks, Spencer Museum , (2023)
- Staff: Brett Bricker, Communication Studies, (2024)
- Vote, Student:
- Voting, Graduate Student:
- Voting, Student: Student Senate University Affairs Committee:
- Voting, Student: Appointed by Student Athlete Advisory Committee:
- Ex-Officio (non-voting): Susan Stagg-Williams, CPE, Faculty Representative
- Ex-Officio (non-voting): Paul Buskirk, Assoc. AD, Student Athlete Support Services
- To the extent possible the committee is encouraged to start each year with a joint meeting of the KAI Staff and the Athletic committee.
- KAI would outline the things that are on their agenda that the committee could work on to help KAI and student athletes. The Senate Athletic Committee could do the same.
- From this meeting, the agenda for the rest of the year could be built.
- Review KU and Kansas Athletics Inc. (KAI) efforts to promote and maintain academic excellence for the student athletes.
- Identify potential academic barriers and recommend mechanisms to overcome such barriers including collaboration with the student athlete academic support services.
- Review current-year data on missed class days due to competition and travel.
- Review the following KAI academic reports: Spring and Fall Student-Athlete Grade Summary, NCAA Academic Progress Rate Institutional Report, Graduation Rates and the KAI report on academic majors for student-athletes and non-athletes.
- Review the effects of university changes regarding core requirements, majors, minors, certificates or other curricular issues.
- Review KU and KAI efforts to provide a premier student athlete experience.
- Review programs designed to ensure the personal development and personal welfare of student athletes including: nutrition and physical health, mental health, and safety.
- Review reports from KAI exit-interviews and KAI survey questions regarding participation in the broader campus community.
- Review Student Athlete Advisory Committee programs and recommend opportunities to improve student athlete involvement in extracurricular campus and community activities.
- Help ensure KU maintains athletic compliance with University, Big XII and NCAA rules and Federal law.
- Review educational programs and communication strategies to ensure the KU community better understands the combined responsibility for compliance.
- Review and summarize KAI reports identifying athletic compliance parameters including but not limited to recruiting practices and university admissions.
- Review KU and KAI policies and procedures on drug testing, diversity and sexual harassment including Title IX compliance, and alcohol use in matters of sexual assault reporting.
- Help ensure KU meets its strategic goals pertaining to athletics.
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to enhance the balance between academics and athletics, as well as to promote a broad understanding of the goals and priorities of each.
- Recommend mechanisms for improved communication between KAI coaches and staff and KU faculty, staff and students.
- Maintain regular communications with the NCAA/Big XII Faculty Representative, the Athletics Advisory Committee (AAC), KAI and University Governance to ensure the needs of each are being served.
- Schedule a session early in the year with the new athletic director to identify issues on which the Senate Athletic Committee might focus.
- Meet again with SAAC early in the year (with no Athletic Department Administrator present) to gain a sense of academic and student life issues over which the Senate Athletic Committee has potential influence and could focus its 2021-22 agenda.
- Follow up on status of Excused Absence Policy
- Ask Jane Fulton for reports on the two SAAC issues raised this spring: the status of the sexual violence prevention requirements for athletes and the status of health services to for student-athletes.
- Follow up on SAAC complaints about consistent violations of the twenty-hour rule.
- In light of national attention to issues of gender inequities in NCAA practices, it might be useful for the Senate Athletic Committee to request a presentation from Nicole Corcoran, Executive Associate Athletics Director/Senior Woman Administrator about how KU Athletic Department ensure that KU is a “model” of gender equity, not a problem.
- Monitor the College Athlete Economic Freedom Act and discussions regarding paying student athletes, and submit final report.