Athletic Committee FY2019
Committee: Athletic Committee
Committee Category: Standing Committees of the University Senate
Fiscal Year: FY2019
Fiscal Year: 2019
- Chair: Susan Twombly, Education (2021)
- Faculty: Chris Anderson, Business (2019)
- Faculty: Shawn Alexander, African/African Amer. Studies (2020)
- Faculty: Ashley Herda, HSES (2020)
- Faculty: Suzanne Valdez, Law (2019)
- Faculty: Derek Reed, ABS, (2021)
- Staff: Meghan Misenhelter, Libraries (2019)
- Staff: Liz Phillips, Office Public Safety (2021)
- Staff: George Diepenbrock, Replaced by M. Ginavan Hayes, (2020)
- Voting, Student: Jay Arends
- Voting, Graduate Student: Guled Abdi
- Student: Student Senate University Affairs Committee: Ben Robben, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student: Appointed by Student Athlete Advisory Committee: Emily Bermel
- Ex-Officio (non- voting): Susan Stagg-Williams, Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, Faculty Representative
- Ex-Officio (non- voting): Paul Buskirk, Assoc. AD, Student Athlete Support Services
- Review KU and Kansas Athletics Inc. (KAI) efforts to promote and maintain academic excellence for the student athletes.
- Identify potential academic barriers and recommend mechanisms to overcome such barriers including collaboration with the student athlete academic support services.
- Review current-year data on missed class days due to competition and travel.
- Review the following KAI academic reports: Spring and Fall Student-Athlete Grade Summary, NCAA Academic Progress Rate Institutional Report, Graduation Rates and the KAI report on academic majors for student-athletes and non-athletes.
- Review the effects of university changes regarding core requirements, majors, minors, certificates or other curricular issues.
- Review KU and KAI efforts to provide a premier student athlete experience.
- Review programs designed to ensure the personal development and personal welfare of student athletes including: nutrition and physical health, mental health, and safety.
- Review reports from KAI exit-interviews and KAI survey questions regarding participation in the broader campus community.
- Review Student Athlete Advisory Committee programs and recommend opportunities to improve student athlete involvement in extracurricular campus and community activities.
- Help ensure KU maintains athletic compliance with University, Big XII and NCAA rules and Federal law.
- Review educational programs and communication strategies to ensure the KU community better understands the combined responsibility for compliance.
- Review and summarize KAI reports identifying athletic compliance parameters including but not limited to recruiting practices and university admissions.
- Review KU and KAI policies and procedures on drug testing, diversity and sexual harassment including Title IX compliance, and alcohol use in matters of sexual assault reporting.
- Help ensure KU meets its strategic goals pertaining to athletics.
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to enhance the balance between academics and athletics, as well as to promote a broad understanding of the goals and priorities of each.
- Recommend mechanisms for improved communication between KAI coaches and staff and KU faculty, staff and students
- Maintain regular communications with the NCAA/Big XII Faculty Representative, the Athletics Advisory Committee (AAC), KAI and University Governance to ensure the needs of each are being served.
- Recommend ways to streamline the standing charges, identify tasks that could be done biannually rather than annually, and eliminate outdated or unnecessary charges.
- Follow up on the Specific Charge #3 from the December 2016 report. Engage in communications with the athletic department and report on measures being taken regarding sexual assault, sexual and other harassments. Including events since the December 2016 report.
Meeting Minutes—Athletic Meeting Minutes - Oct. 1, 2018 (pdf)
Athletic Meeting Minutes - Nov. 5, 2018 (pdf)
Athletic Meeting Minutes - Dec. 3, 2018 (pdf)
Athletic Meeting Minutes - Feb. 4, 2019 (pdf)
Athletic Meeting Minutes - March. 4, 2019 (pdf)