Athletic Committee FY2018
Committee: Athletic Committee
Committee Category: Standing Committees of the University Senate
Fiscal Year: FY2018
Fiscal Year: 2018
- Chair: Genelle Belmas, Journalism (2019)
- Faculty: Philip Wedge, English, Faculty (2018)
- Faculty: Shawn Alexander, African/African Amer Studies (2020)
- Faculty: Ashley Herda, HSES (2020)
- Faculty: Suzanne Valdez, Law (2019)
- Faculty: Chris Anderson, Business (2019)
- Staff: Meghan Misenhelter, Libraries (2019)
- Staff: Leslee Smithhisler, EECS, (2018)
- Staff: George Diepenbrock, Public Affairs (2020)
- Student & Vice Chair: Daniel Lee, Daniel.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate Student: Jordan Haas
- Student: Student Senate University Affairs Committee (2018)
- Student:, Appointed by Student Athlete Advisory Committee Laura Taylor (2018)
- Ex-Officio (non- voting): Susan Stagg-Williams, Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, Faculty Representative
- Ex-Officio (non- voting): Paul Buskirk, Assoc. AD, Student Athlete Support Services
- Review KU and Kansas Athletics Inc. (KAI) efforts to promote and maintain academic excellence for the student athletes.
- Identify potential academic barriers and recommend mechanisms to overcome such barriers including collaboration with the student athlete academic support services.
- Review current-year data on missed class days due to competition and travel.
- Review the following KAI academic reports: Spring and Fall Student-Athlete Grade Summary, NCAA Academic Progress Rate Institutional Report, Graduation Rates and the KAI report on academic majors for student-athletes and non-athletes.
- Review the effects of university changes regarding core requirements, majors, minors, certificates or other curricular issues.
- Review KU and KAI efforts to provide a premier student athlete experience.
- Review programs designed to ensure the personal development and personal welfare of student athletes including: nutrition and physical health, mental health, and safety.
- Review reports from KAI exit-interviews and KAI survey questions regarding participation in the broader campus community.
- Review Student Athlete Advisory Committee programs and recommend opportunities to improve student athlete involvement in extracurricular campus and community activities.
- Help ensure KU maintains athletic compliance with University, Big XII and NCAA rules and Federal law.
- Review educational programs and communication strategies to ensure the KU community better understands the combined responsibility for compliance.
- Review and summarize KAI reports identifying athletic compliance parameters including but not limited to recruiting practices and university admissions.
- Review KU and KAI policies and procedures on drug testing, diversity and sexual harassment including Title IX compliance, and alcohol use in matters of sexual assault reporting.
- Help ensure KU meets its strategic goals pertaining to athletics.
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to enhance the balance between academics and athletics, as well as to promote a broad understanding of the goals and priorities of each.
- Recommend mechanisms for improved communication between KAI coaches and staff and KU faculty, staff and students
- Maintain regular communications with the NCAA/Big XII Faculty Representative, the Athletics Advisory Committee (AAC), KAI and University Governance to ensure the needs of each are being served.
- Recommend ways to streamline the standing charges, identify tasks that could be done biannually rather than annually, and eliminate outdated or unnecessary charges.