Athletic Committee FY2017
Committee: Athletic Committee
Committee Category: Standing Committees of the University Senate
Fiscal Year: FY2017
Fiscal Year: 2017
- Chair: Peter Ukpokodu, African/African American Studies (2017)
- Faculty: Philip Wedge, English, Faculty (2018)
- Faculty: Ingrid Peterson, Mathematics (2017)
- Faculty: Suzanne Valdez, Law (2019)
- Faculty: Genelle Belmas, Journalism (2019)
- Faculty: Chris Anderson, Business
- Staff: Meghan Misenhelter, Libraries (2019)
- Staff: Leslee Smithhisler, EECS, (2018)
- Staff: Chris Wallace, Housing Office Administration, Staff (2017)
- Student & Vice Chair: Sophia Templin
- Graduate Student: Rhavean Anderson, randerson@Ku.edu
- Student: Victoria Snitsar, Student Senate University Affairs Committee (2017)
- Student: Tayler Soucie, Tayler, Appointed by Student Athlete Advisory Committee (2017)
- Ex-Officio (non- voting): Susan Stagg-Williams, Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, Faculty Representative
- Ex-Officio (non- voting): Paul Buskirk, Assoc. AD, Student Athlete Support Services
- Review KU and Kansas Athletics Inc. (KAI) efforts to promote and maintain academic excellence for the student athletes.
- Identify potential academic barriers and recommend mechanisms to overcome such barriers including collaboration with the student athlete academic support services.
- Review current-year data on missed class days due to competition and travel.
- Review the following KAI academic reports: Spring and Fall Student-Athlete Grade Summary, NCAA Academic Progress Rate Institutional Report, Graduation Rates and the KAI report on academic majors for student-athletes and non-athletes.
- Review the effects of university changes regarding core requirements, majors, minors, certificates or other curricular issues.
- Review KU and KAI efforts to provide a premier student athlete experience.
- Review programs designed to ensure the personal development and personal welfare of student athletes including: nutrition and physical health, mental health, and safety.
- Review reports from KAI exit-interviews and KAI survey questions regarding participation in the broader campus community.
- Review Student Athlete Advisory Committee programs and recommend opportunities to improve student athlete involvement in extracurricular campus and community activities.
- Help ensure KU maintains athletic compliance with University, Big XII and NCAA rules and Federal law.
- Review educational programs and communication strategies to ensure the KU community better understands the combined responsibility for compliance.
- Review and summarize KAI reports identifying athletic compliance parameters including but not limited to recruiting practices and university admissions.
- Review KU and KAI policies and procedures on drug testing, diversity and sexual harassment including Title IX compliance, and alcohol use in matters of sexual assault reporting.
- Help ensure KU meets its strategic goals pertaining to athletics.
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to enhance the balance between academics and athletics, as well as to promote a broad understanding of the goals and priorities of each.
- Recommend mechanisms for improved communication between KAI coaches and staff and KU faculty, staff and students
- Maintain regular communications with the NCAA/Big XII Faculty Representative, the Athletics Advisory Committee (AAC), KAI and University Governance to ensure the needs of each are being served.
Recommend ways to streamline the standing charges, identify tasks that could be done biennially rather than annually, and eliminate outdated or unnecessary charges.
- Work with P&R to produce a report detailing the University’s financial relationships with KAI. Determine how much income the University is receiving for licensing of its name, logo, colors, font, etc. Determine how much income the University is receiving for use of its facilities.
- Engage in communications with the athletic department and report on measures being taken regarding sexual assault, and sexual and other harassment. Report to SenEx by December 1, 2016.
Meeting Minutes—Athletic Meeting Minutes - Oct. 6, 2016 (pdf)
Athletic Meeting Minutes - Nov. 10, 2016 (pdf)
Athletic Meeting Minutes - March 7, 2017 (pdf)
Final Reports and Outcomes—Athletic Final Report FY2017 - Financial Information (pdf)
Athletic Final Report FY2017 - Sexual Assault and Harassment (pdf)