Athletic Committee FY2015
Committee: Athletic Committee
Committee Category: Standing Committees of the University Senate
Fiscal Year: FY2015
Fiscal Year: 2015
- Chair: Max Utsler, Journalism (2016)
- Joy Ward, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology (2015)
- Ingrid Peterson, Mathematics (2017)
- Catherine Shenoy, Business, (2016)
- Phil DeLaTorre, Law (2016)
- Peter Ukpokodu, African/African Amer Studies (2017)
- Sophia Templin, firstname.lastname@example.org, Student
- Brent Lee, email@example.com, Student
- Ella Tenerelli, firstname.lastname@example.org, Student, Elected by Student Senate University Affairs Committee
- Gabby DiMarco, email@example.com, Student, Appointed by Student Athlete Advisory Committee
- Amy Smith, Policy Office, Unclassified Staff (2016)
- Robert Pogorek, Public Safety, University Support Staff, (2016)
- Chris Wallace, Housing Office Administration, University Support Staff (2017)
- Ex-Officio (non- voting): Susan Stagg-Williams, Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, Faculty Representative
- Ex-Officio (non- voting): Paul Buskirk, Assoc. AD, Student Athlete Support Services
- Review KU and Kansas Athletics Inc. (KAI) efforts to promote and maintain academic excellence, as they pertain to athletics. (ongoing)
- Identify potential barriers to student athlete integration into curricular and extra-curricular activities, and recommend mechanisms to overcome such barriers.
- Recommend campus initiatives to target academic success of student athletes, including collaboration with the on-going academic programs at the Student Athlete Support Center.
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to increase community awareness of issues such as Academic Progress Rate (APR), progress towards degree and similar regulations as well as academic honors and awards to student-athletes.
- Review current-year data on missed class days due to competition and travel.
- Review the following KAI academic reports: Spring and Fall Student-Athlete Grade Summary, NCAA Academic Progress Rate Institutional Report, and Graduation Rates.
- Review the KAI report on academic majors for student-athletes and non-athletes.
- Review KU and KAI efforts to provide a premiere student-athlete experience. (ongoing)
- Recommend mechanisms to enable broader discussions of opportunities to improve the student-athlete experience.
- Provide review of programs designed to ensure the academic success, personal development, and personal welfare of student athletes.
- Review, summarize and disseminate KAI reports identifying student wellness parameters including but not limited to drug testing practices and policies, nutrition and physical health, psychological and emotional well being, and social integration.
- Review data resulting from KAI exit-interview and KAI survey questions regarding participation in the broader campus community.
- Help to ensure that KU maintains athletic compliance with University, Big XII and NCAA rules. (ongoing)
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to ensure the KU community better understands our combined responsibility for compliance.
- Review and summarize KAI reports identifying athletic compliance parameters including but not limited to ten-day absence policies, academic screening practices and recruiting practices.
- Help to ensure that KU strategic goals pertaining to athletics are accomplished. (ongoing)
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to enhance the balance between academics and athletics, as well as to promulgate broad understanding of the goals and priorities of each.
- Review KU and KAI practices and policies pertaining to diversity in athletics, including Title IX compliance.
- Help to facilitate systematic dialog between KU and KAI regarding items of mutual interest. (ongoing)
- Recommend mechanisms for improved communication between KAI and faculty, staff and students.
- Work with KAI to avoid potentially divisive issues of interest to faculty, staff and students.
- Maintain regular communications with the NCAA/Big XII Faculty Representative, the Athletics Advisory Committee (AAC), KAI, and University Governance to ensure the needs of each are being served.
- Continue to review the potential impact of implementation of the University’s common core on the academic progress of student-athletes, particularly on how this is impacting student-athletes who are transfer students.
- Monitor the effects of the new NCAA eligibility requirements (e.g., high school course requirements and timing of courses, new GPA and SAT/ACT requirements) and the impact they may have in 2016 when they go into effect.
- Continue to collaborate with KAI on strategies to promote increased awareness of student-athlete academic honors and awards to the broader University and Lawrence community.
- Continue to monitor data resulting from KAI exit-interview and KAI survey questions regarding participation in the broader campus community and review Student Senate/SAAC task force recommendations.
- Continue to dialogue with KAI Compliance staff to identify strategies for disseminating information to faculty and appropriate staff regarding compliance issues and regulations that are impacted by academic actions and decisions.
- Review standing charges and recommend modifications. Report to SenEx by February 1, 2015.