Restricted Research FY2016
Pursuant to the university’s restricted research policy (FSRR Article IX), this committee reviews and, if appropriate under that policy, approves proposals for exceptions to the university policy against engaging in research that is subject to restrictions on the transparency of data or the dissemination of results.
Membership: 6 faculty members holding regular appointments to the graduate faculty, appointed to staggered three-year terms, with two members rotating each year. The Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies or designee and the Chair of the Faculty Senate Research Committee, or designee, will be ex-officio, non-voting members of the committee.
Chair: Robert Ward, Molecular Biosciences, (2016)
Kathryn Rhine, Anthropology, (2018)
Mario Medina, Civil/Environ/Arch Engineering, (2018)
Minae Mure, Chemistry, (2018)
Jerome Dobson, Geography, (2017)
Manuela Gonzalez-Bueno, Curriculum & Teaching, (2016)
Ex-Officio: Susan MacNally, Interim Director, Research Integrity
Ex-Officio: Mahbub Rashid, Chair, Faculty Senate Research Committee
Approved by FacEx: June 2, 2015
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 10, 2015
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Tom Beisecker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 22, 2016 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 15, 2016.
- Pursuant to the university’s restricted research policy (FSRR Article IX), review and, if appropriate under that policy, approve proposals for exceptions to the university policy against engaging in research that is subject to restrictions on the transparency of data or the dissemination of results.
- Publish each of the Committee’s recommendations in a notice to the Faculty Senate Research Committee in a timely manner. The notice shall include:
a. Title of project;
b. Name of principal investigator or project director;
c. Source or sources of funds for support of project;
d. Action by the Restricted Research Committee as to approval or
e. If approved, a short statement of justification for the proposed research in terms of the purposes of the University and in the light of the criteria for approval as listed in Section IV.D. below; if disapproved, a short statement of the reasons for rejection.
- Make an annual report to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, listing each restrictive grant or contract considered during the year, to include references to all information identified in Section 4.C. 2 of FSRR Article IX.