Faculty Research FY2014
This committee monitors and communicates with administration personnel and governance bodies concerning support for and policies concerning faculty research activities, including the allocation of GRF funds, the implementation of the restricted research policy, and other issues affecting the research environment at KU.
Membership: Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies; twelve members of the Faculty serving staggered three-year terms, with not more than one member of any department; one graduate student member elected by the Executive Committee of the Graduate Student Council, who shall participate only in the policy-making functions of the committee; and the Associate Vice Provost for Research who shall be a non‑voting member and who shall serve as secretary of the committee.
Chair: Celka Straughn, Spencer Museum of Art (2014)
Michael Williams, Journalism (2014)
Catherine Preston, Film and Media Studies (2015)
Rick Miller, Kansas Geological Survey, (2014)
Derek D. Reed, Applied Behavioral Science (2015)
Jeffrey Krise, Pharmaceutical Chemistry (2015)
Dean Williams, Bureau of Child Research, (2015)
Larry Hoyle, Institute for Policy & Social Research, (2015)
Barbara Phipps, Curriculum & Teaching, (2015)
Dan Spencer, Business (2016)
Belinda Sturm, Civil/Environ/Arch Engineering (2016)
Mahbub, Rashid, Architecture, Design & Planning (2016)
Steve Warren, Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies
Ex-officio: Rodolfo Torres, Associate Vice Chancellor, KUCR
TBD, Graduate Student Representative,
FY-14 RESEARCH COMMITTEE
Approved by FacEx: June 17, 2013
Approved by Faculty Senate:
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx chair Chris Steadham at email@example.com
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by 03/25/14 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com. Please include the names of committee members and submit the report by April 1, 2014. If the committee still expects to conduct business after April 1, please submit a report by April 1 and later submit any addenda that may be appropriate.
- Monitor the administration of the General Research Fund (GRF) and make recommendations, as needed, to ensure its effectiveness and appropriate utilization. Report to FacEx concerning actions taken with respect to this charge by 03/05/14.
- Monitor the execution of the University’s Restricted Research Policy (Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations, Article IX) in handling requests for exceptions.
- Serve as the body to hear faculty appeals of research rejected by the restricted research committee or by the Vice Provost for Research, as specified in the Restricted Research Policy.
- Monitor the implementation of policies and procedures for determining which proposals will go forward in cases where the number of grant applications that may be submitted from the University is limited. Identify problems or concerns, and report issues and recommendations to FacEx.
- Continue working with the ACEC (Academic Computing and Electronic Communications) Committee to process needs for and issues with computing and telecommunications for research, including recommendations for sustainable policies and procedures and monitoring ongoing and new developments in IT. Report issues and recommendations to FacEx as needed.
- With regard to Standing Charge 4, explore ways to accomplish initial reviews electronically since getting a face-to-face committee meeting takes time and these cases are often rushed. Report issues, findings, and/or recommendations to FacEx.
- Continue to consider issues related to the use of Academic Analytics for external evaluations of the University and internal research evaluations for departments, programs, and faculty; the applicability of AA metrics to diverse disciplines; and the flexibility or possibility to incorporate other qualitative and quantitative metrics (such as the PRO/Digital Measures system) into AA method of analysis. Examine how metrics from AA and PRO are being determined and used, and if these are well adapted to different disciplines and types of research activity. Explore how these metrics are impacting faculty research, research opportunities and the understanding of faculty research profiles. Report issues, findings, and/or recommendations to FacEx.
- In coordination with ACEC, RGS, and KU Libraries, investigate issues of research data (collection, analysis, storage, curation, etc.). Report issues, findings, and/or recommendations to FacEx.
- Drawing upon the FY13 Research Committee Report, and in coordination with RGS, review and possibly reassess the total allocation system and structure of GRF awards. Report issues, findings, and/or recommendations to FacEx.