Athletic Committee FY2014
Athletic Committee: This committee serves as the link between governance and athletics programs at KU, and works with athletic corporation to promote the educational experience of student athletes, to support compliance with NCAA requirements, and to address other issues of interest to faculty, students, and staff in relation to athletic programs at KU.
Chair: Joy Ward, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology (2015)
Max Utsler, Journalism (2014)
Kathy Suprenant, Molecular Biosciences (2014)
Angela Lumpkin, Health Sport & Exercise Sciences (2016)
Catherine Shenoy, Business, (2016)
Phil DeLaTorre, Law (2016)
Darby Evans, Student
Adam Smith, Student
TBD, Student, Elected by Student Senate University Affairs Committee
TBD, Student, Appointed by Student Athlete Advisory Committee
Amy Smith, Policy Office, Unclassified Staff (2016)
Kristen Spellman, Provost Business Services, University Support Staff, (2016)
Susan Shaw, Parking & Transit, University Support Staff (2014)
Ex-Officio (non- voting):
Susan Stagg-Williams, Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, Faculty Representative
Paul Buskirk, Assoc. AD, Student Athlete Support Services
FY-14 ATHLETIC COMMITTEE
Approved by SenEx: June 10, 2013
Approved by University Senate: September 12, 2013
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx chair Nancy Kinnersley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by 4/01/14 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the names of committee members and submit the report by April 1, 2014. If the committee still expects to conduct business after April 1, please submit a report by April 1 and later submit any addenda that may be appropriate.
- Review KU and Kansas Athletics Inc. (KAI) efforts to promote and maintain academic excellence, as they pertain to athletics. (ongoing)
- Identify potential barriers to student athlete integration into curricular and extra-curricular activities, and recommend mechanisms to overcome such barriers.
- Recommend campus initiatives to target academic success of student athletes, including collaboration with the on-going academic programs at the Student Athlete Support Center.
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to increase community awareness of issues such as Academic Progress Rate (APR), progress towards degree and similar regulations as well as academic honors and awards to student-athletes.
- Review current-year data on missed class days due to competition and travel.
- Review the following KAI academic reports: Spring and Fall Student-Athlete Grade Summary, NCAA Academic Progress Rate Institutional Report, and Graduation Rates.
- Review the KAI report on academic majors for student-athletes and non-athletes.
2. Review KU and KAI efforts to provide a premiere student-athlete experience. (ongoing)
- Recommend mechanisms to enable broader discussions of opportunities to improve the student-athlete experience.
- Provide review of programs designed to ensure the academic success, personal development, and personal welfare of student athletes.
- Review, summarize and disseminate KAI reports identifying student wellness parameters including but not limited to drug testing practices and policies, nutrition and physical health, psychological and emotional well-being, and social integration.
- Review data resulting from KAI exit-interview and KAI survey questions regarding participation in the broader campus community.
3. Help to ensure that KU maintains athletic compliance with University, Big XII and NCAA rules. (ongoing)
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to ensure the KU community better understands our combined responsibility for compliance.
- Review and summarize KAI reports identifying athletic compliance parameters including but not limited to ten-day absence policies, academic screening practices and recruiting practices.
4. Help to ensure that KU strategic goals pertaining to athletics are accomplished. (ongoing)
- Recommend educational programs and communication strategies to enhance the balance between academics and athletics, as well as to promulgate broad understanding of the goals and priorities of each.
- Review KU and KAI practices and policies pertaining to diversity in athletics, including Title IX compliance.
5. Help to facilitate systematic dialog between KU and KAI regarding items of mutual interest. (ongoing)
- Recommend mechanisms for improved communication between KAI and faculty, staff and students.
- Work with KAI to avoid potentially divisive issues of interest to faculty, staff and students.
- Maintain regular communications with the NCAA/Big XII Faculty Representative, the Athletics Advisory Committee (AAC), KAI, and University Governance to ensure the needs of each are being serve.
1. Review the potential impact of implementation of the University’s common core on the academic progress of student-athletes.
2. Collaborate with KAI on strategies to promote increased awareness of student-athlete academic honors and awards to the broader University community.
3. Continue to monitor data resulting from KAI exit-interview and KAI survey questions regarding participation in the broader campus community and review Student Senate/SAAC task force recommendations.
4. Continue to work with KAI Compliance staff to identify strategies for disseminating information to faculty and appropriate staff regarding compliance issues and regulations that are affected by academic actions and decisions.