Faculty Rights Privileges and Responsibilities FY2018
Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities (FRPR):This committee monitors the implementation of policies concerning faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities, reviews and develops policy proposals on these issues, and communicates with faculty concerning their rights, privileges, and responsibilities.
Membership: 8 members of the Faculty serving staggered three year terms.
Chair: Joe Harrington, English, (2020)
Mary Banwart, Communications Studies (2018)
Sean Seyer, Humanities & Western Civ (2018)
Dean Williams, Institute for Lifespan Studies, (2018)
Fran Devlin, Libraries, (2019)
Eugene Parker, Education, (2019)
Uma Outka, Law, (2019)
Robert Warrior, (2020)
Approved by FacEx: June 8, 2017
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 7, 2017
· For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or
the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Amalia Monroe-Gulick, email@example.com.
· Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
· If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 6, 2018 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
· Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 16, 2018.
As circumstances require:
- Monitor the implementation of university policies related to the rights and responsibilities of the faculty, including the following general areas (1) appointments, promotions, granting of tenure, and non-reappointments; (2) merit evaluations, rewards and sabbatical leaves; (3) protection of the faculty’s right to privacy; and (4) intellectual property. Review all current policy statements regarding these matters to ensure that they are adequate, appropriate, and readily available to all faculty members. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Respond to inquiries and address issues regarding faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities (as they arise).
- Communicate with representatives of the AAUP regarding their concerns relating to faculty rights, privileges and responsibilities. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
1. Analyze, and, if warranted, recommend language to strengthen, FSRRs relating to the Faculty Rights Board, as well as FRB procedures.
2. Analyze, and, if warranted, strengthen, language in policies designed to protect non-tenure track faculty.
3. Explore the advisability of a University-wide Conflict of Interest Committee that would investigate &/or adjudicate all types of conflict of interest, and, if such a committee is deemed advisable, draft an addition to the University Code to create it.
4. Make recommendations to the Faculty Senate regarding administration and implementation of the core curriculum, including draft language delineating faculty control of the curriculum and amendments to the FSRRs that articulates how faculty can change the Core curriculum (e.g., with regard to goals).
5. Monitor the implementation of the KU Core Curriculum by administering FRPR’s survey again in FY18. Report issues to FacEx.
6. Review implementation of new Article IX.