Faculty Compensation FY2015
This committee monitors issues and develop proposals surrounding the levels and distribution of faculty salaries, services and other benefits, communicates with faculty and administration concerning personnel policies affecting faculty, and coordinates with the Planning and Resources Committee concerning faculty compensation and the budgetary processes.
Membership: 6 members of the Faculty appointed for staggered three-year terms and an ex-officio representative from the Office of the Provost.
Chair: Jorge Perez, Spanish & Portuguese (2016)
Joshua Rosenbloom, Economics, (2017)
Arleen Barry, Curriculum & Teaching (2017)
Sara Wilson, Mechanical Engineering (2017)
Peter Chun, Music, (2016)
John Keating, Economics (2016)
Ex-officio member, Marta Caminero-Santangelo, Interim Vice Provost, Faculty Development
Approved by FacEx: June 3, 2014
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 11, 2014
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Jim Carothers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by 03/31/15 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the names of committee members and submit the report by April 1, 2015. If the committee still expects to conduct business after April 1, please submit a report by April 1 and later submit any addenda that may be appropriate.
- Continue to monitor the level and distribution of faculty salaries to identify issues and concerns. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Continue the cooperative communication between the Chairs of the Planning and Resources and Faculty Compensation committees to facilitate coordination on issues of mutual concern. Report issues and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Drawing upon the work of the Tuition Assistance Task Force, and in coordination with the Planning and Resources Committee, consider how an expanded tuition assistance policy might affect faculty compensation, recruitment, and retention. Consider which Task Force recommendations might be prioritized if a phased or incremental approach is pursued. Report findings and recommendations to FacEx.
- Consider whether a more consistent policy is possible across the university regarding compensation for development of online courses.
- Work with OIRP to perform a quantitative analysis of salary compression by school. The analysis should consider the effect of time-in-rank and the effect of job tenure at KU on salary.