Calendar Committee FY2017
Calendar: This committee is responsible for developing the university’s 5-year calendar, informing the university community about and monitoring compliance with rules concerning the scheduling of examinations and other matters, and considering or developing proposals concerning changes to the calendar.
The Calendar Committee shall be composed of the University Registrar, four faculty members serving staggered three-year terms, two representatives from the staff serving staggered three-year terms, and four student members serving one-year terms. The Registrar at KUMC and the Director of International Student and Scholar Services shall serve as ex-officio, nonvoting members.
Chair: Albert Sheu, Math, (2017)
Faculty: Michael Engel, EEB, (2018) MSENGEL@ku.edu
Faculty: Mary Fry, HSES, (2019)
Faculty: Mazhar Arikan, Business, (2019)
Staff: Ramia Whitecotton, Geography (2018)
Staff: Shima McCurdy, Parking & Transit, (2017) GUKGIRL@ku.edu
Registrars Office Interim Members: Kim O'Bryon (Steve Grenus resigned from KU)
Student & Vice Chair: John Foster, email@example.com
Student: Ashley Dunn, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student: Jack Stevens, email@example.com
Student: Lauren Sherwood, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ex-officio (not voting): Registrar KUMC: Marla Herron, Registrar, email@example.com
Charles Olcese, Director ISSS - firstname.lastname@example.org
FY2017 CALENDAR COMMITTEE
Approved by SenEx: May 31, 2016
Approved by University Senate: September 8, 2016
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx Chair Joe Harrington email@example.com
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 14, 2017 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 14, 2017.
- Monitor compliance with University Senate Rules and Regulations 1.3.2 concerning final examinations, including: (a) ensuring that adequate arrangements are made each semester to inform students and faculty through the Schedule of Classes about the regulations governing final examinations, and the appropriate procedures to be followed if questions arise about the application of the regulations; (b) informing the teaching faculty and GTAs, via an e-mail from the chair, one week before the beginning of each semester (in August and January) of these regulations and their rationale; and (c) considering requests for exceptions, as provided in the regulations. Report actions taken on these matters to SenEx. (ongoing)
- Monitor compliance with University Senate Rules and Regulations 1.4.2 concerning the scheduling of examinations outside of regular class hours. Following the committee’s established procedures, approve or disapprove applications for tests other than final examinations to be held at times other than regular class hours. Report actions taken on these matters to SenEx.
3. Update the five-year calendar. Report to SenEx by November 1, 2016
- Consider how to keep students informed of final exam policy regarding minimesters, and non-regular courses. Report to SenEx by November 1, 2016.