SenEx Minutes February 1, 2022


University Senate Executive Committee – SenEx February 1, 2022
Approved: February 15, 2022

 

Present: Hossein Saiedian, Rémy Lequesne, Hollie Hall, Camden Baxter, Corey Maley, Nate Brunsell, Kyle Velte, Patricia Gaston, Tim Spencer, Ani Kokobobo, Jessica Chilcoat, Ethan Roark

 

Also present: Kathy Reed, Tessa Maclean

 

Approval of minutes from December 7, 2021, motion made by Kokobobo, seconded by Chambers. No discussion, approved unanimously.
 

Standing Reports – see below:  

  • Student Senate Vice President - Ethan Roark
  • Staff Senate President - Tim Spencer
  • Faculty Senate President - Rémy
  • University Senate President - Hossein Saiedian
    • Evaluation of VP Brown- an email has gone out regarding the surveys
    • I learned from a past experience that some people had concerns regarding their privacy and sharing their opinions online. So, we made an option that people can come in person to provide their comments.

 

After discussion, it was identified that the in-person interviews are confidential, enforced by a legally binding document the committee all signed, and that Saiedian would inquire into whether the survey was sent out to just faculty, or staff, and students as well.

 

  • Program discontinuance

    • The Provost has approved some of our recommendations and they have been forwarded to the Chancellor there are other ones that are still being discussed.
    • The meeting on Thursday will be a good opportunity to ask about those.
  • Budget updated with Jeff Dewitt; we have invited him to two meeting dates, as soon he accepts one, we will update you all.
  • RRBC are going to be raising money for the position they are looking to hire through the KU Endowment Association.
  • Bi-weekly covid meetings: the cases are dropping in Douglas County; you can go to the protect KU website to view weekly stat updates.
  • COACHE Faculty Job Satisfaction Survey, look out for this…

 

 

Review meeting protocol with Provost Thursday, February 3, 2022

  • All meetings are open
  • Normally the code calls for the questions to come from just staff, students, and faculty, but we are allowing anyone to talk in this meeting because of the importance of this meeting.

 

 

After some discussion, it was decided that a group will be announced and then a question from that group will be taken, rotating between staff, students, and faculty.

 

 

Reed: Revised Calendar for Spring 2022 (attached)

  • The reason for this suggestion is because we came up short in the fall for the faculty senate meetings. Also, this is the first time we have alternated just University Senate and just Faculty Senate.
  • The last meeting of the year should be the organizational meeting and then SenEx would have their joint meeting the last week, this is more aligned with our code.

 

Comment Lequesne:

Do we need the April 26th FacEx meeting? Nothing we pass that day can be taken to the Senate. Maybe we make that tentative. If we made this chance, for University Senate this would mean the last day to pass something and take it to senate is the 7th is that correct?

 

Reply Reed:

Yes.

 

Question:

Is the organizational meeting ran by the new leaders?

 

Reply Reed:

Yes.

 

Agreement was expressed by the members.

 

 

Kokobobo: Discussion regarding incompletes

  • Briefly went over the letter from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and the email Casey Wallace sent out.

 

After much discussion, it was agreed that Kokobobo will go to General Counsel regarding the legitimacy of FERPA and USRR violation claims. Then the Registrar’s Office representatives will be invited to a SenEx meeting to go over General Counsel’s interpretation and the College will be provided an updated interpretation.   

 

 

Unfinished Business

  • Program discontinuance – Lequesne

    • The Provost made a confusing comment to KBOR regarding program discontinuance, so we are hoping she will clarify in the Thursday meeting.
  • Update: Ad-Hoc Program Discontinuance Committee - Kokobobo

    • We met with VP Jen Roberts, Marie Taylor, and VP Chris Brown to discuss the draft revisions.
    • We feel good about this draft, we discovered it would need to be approved by KBOR.
    • We suggested anyone in the program be kept (not just tenured faculty).
    • There is a lot of disagreement so it might not precede.
  • Update: Sexual Harassment Policy - Kokobobo
    • We are moving forward with this; a meeting will be scheduled for the working group soon.

 

 

New Business

               

  • Retroactive withdrawal amendment procedure - Lequesne

 

Question Lequesne:

Should we propose changes now before it goes to senate, or do we do it on the floor?

 

Reply Reed:

If you have changes to make, you’ll have to do it during discussion because that meeting because we have already sent out the 7-day notice, so you don’t want to bring a document that you’ve changed, but you can bring notes of proposed changes. We aren’t going to vote on it, so we don’t need a motion to approve or accept, then when it comes to the next meeting to vote on it. You can say these are the suggested changes and then vote on the adjusted document.

 

Comment Lequesne:

Okay, our group will review it and see if we want to make changes in response to these comments.

 

  • Discussion: Codify in the USRR a statement regarding plagiarism and administrative positions

Question:

Is there room for us to expand the rule to include staff and administrators, we don’t want to great undue burdens for staff?

 

Comment Spencer:

If there is an issue involving misconduct, it should be at an HR level. I think Jeff Chasen and Julie Thornton should be included; they have staff’s best interests in mind. I’ll speak to the Staff Ex committee. I think staff will be on board, but I’ll pitch it to them, and I’ll get back to you. I think it should be codified. We will get someone for the staff side of it. Also, the sexual assault group, I’ll see if staff are interested in joining.

 

It was agreed that this issue will be tabled until after Spencer can gage interest in Staff Senate.

 

  • APCC membership - Lequesne

    • A committee within academic affairs, including VP Jen Roberts, started last August, composed of Associate Deans. I have received emails stating that they deal with certain things like approving academic programs and academic policies, which is right in our purview, but there is no member from governance on the committee. Hossein has been attending as a guest. I’d like for us to request for an AP&P member on that committee as a voting member, and Karen Moeller supports this.

 

Motion to make an AP&P as a voting member of APCC committee made by Kokobobo, seconded by Gaston.

 

After a brief discussion about why we should have full, voting membership, there were no objections and the motion passed unanimously.

 

Following further discussion of sanctions relating to plagiarism involving administrators, the meeting was adjourned.

 

 

 

Student Senate Vice President Report

Cycle Eight (8) Joint Officer Report

Policy Director

This cycle I am beginning work for the following projects in the following ways

 

Campus Fee Advisory Board ○I chair this board and it is my responsibility to coordinate monthly meetings to assess our campus fee amongst our fee managers. ○I will be assigning senators to these different fees to help with research.

 

Establishing a warm clothes/coat closet ○I am getting in contact with those at Watkins who oversee their warm clothes closet to see how we can expand and make it more readily accessible

 

Improving recycling in residence halls ○Working with Student Housing to improve recycling habits and standards for our residence halls, apartments, and scholarship halls. ○Working with the sustainability funds we have to potentially aid this issue

 

Civil Rights education ○Working with the Social Justice Council and other entities on campus to provide a seminar on how to manage situations with law enforcement and what your civil rights are on campus and abroad.

 

Graduate President

Met with Nicole Reiz from Office of Graduate Studies to set a plan in place for applying for funds for the next academic year. It was decided to apply for EOF funds due to the way we distribute the funds for graduate student travel grants. This also means we will be able to increase grants from 500 to 750 per student which will more easily allow for international travel.

 

We had our biweekly meeting with Dr. Durham and discussed various matters such as how to better distribute the clicker program to under resourced students and how to address fee review in a way that would be receptive from KBOR with the current talk of keeping fees flat from the governor's office.

 

Met with the Chancellor, Chief of Staff and Dr. Durham. We discussed the recent plagiarism from the DEIB office and how students had yet to receive communication, only faculty had. Dr. Durham mentioned she would get a message out to students. We also discussed the fee package with the Chancellor and his advice was similar to Dr. Durhams which is to have 2 fee packages, one ideal and one flat to present.

 

Aside from the meetings mentioned above, at the request of GSAB I have been researching how student governments in the Big 12 work and what their graduate student input is like.

 

I have also reached out to all graduate student senators from last semester and now have a concrete list of those returning to serve and those who relinquished their roles.

 

Lastly, today I will be emailing all of the graduate student body to garner interest for the last fee review positions we have left. I already reached out to students within the higher education administration program with no luck, so this is my final attempt to garner interest.

 

All GSAB meetings have been scheduled for this coming semester also.

 

Associate Treasurer

I am currently working on adding the last touches to the Budget Book and then I will be starting the process of renaming the Associate Treasurer position as well as redefining what this position contributes to the Student Senate. This project will have the majority of my attention outside of Fee Review.

 

President

- SUA and Student Senate T-Shirts are here in the Student Senate Office

- planning a round table with our multicultural student groups

- working with OMA on the new Black Student Advisory Committee

- following up with council leadership on projects for the semester

- working with our gov rel director on Big 12 and Higher Ed Day

- organizing turn over documentation

- interviews this week for Comms position

 

Internal Affairs Director

Hello and I hope everyone had a good break. I have been working with administration to get the clicker program going for the spring semester. It is currently by appointment, so if you would like one feel free to email me at senateinternal@ku.edu. Additionally, the mentorship program is still open, and I will soon have advertisements for that all around campus. Lastly, I will hopefully begin working on matching students to areas that they have interest in from the campus wide interest survey. Thanks.

 

Vice President

1. Niya & I have established our 1:1’s with cabinet members and are going to continue to

engage in these meetings on a biweekly basis throughout the semester. We are hoping that

this will help to keep the office connected on a myriad of projects and that it will provide

some communication links as we engage in Senate work in a hybrid/virtual format across

these next few weeks, due to the Omicron Variant.

 

2. Hollie & I met with the Chancellor, the Chancellor’s Chief of Staff, and Dr. Durham on

21 January 2022. The following items were brought to their attention:

  1.  COVID-19 concerns ranging from testing availability to issues with in-person

instruction. We also discussed the need to reconsider the restrictions on hybrid attendance currently put in place by the Provost’s Office. Students simply need more choice on how to attend class during a global pandemic.

  1.  The plagiarism of the MLK Jr. Day Email committed by the Provost’s Office,

specifically the Office of DEIB, was discussed. It was relayed that students find

this behaviour unacceptable and are seeking an official apology from the

Provost’s Office. Simply put, if the Provost wants to reorganize DEIB Efforts

under the Provost’s Office, this must coincide with a willingness to take

responsibility for the actions, good and bad, that come out of this office. As it

stands now, students have still not been informed by the university through email

that the MLK Jr. Day's email was largely plagiarized from the words of Curtis L.

Coy. They stated that they were also unaware of the reason why the Provost’s

email that addressed Dr. Graham’s resignation from earlier this week did not also

go out to students.

  1.  We, once again, brought up the issue of communication at KU and approached the

topic in two ways. In the end, Dr. Durham said that she would be able to send out

Senate Emails if we could provide a good amount of information on the email for

the remainder of the semester. Dr. Durham also spoke to the development of a

newsletter that will benefit next year’s administration.

  1. The University continues to send out faulty messages that have had

negative impacts on our university community as a whole. It is now

becoming rare to see a quality email be pushed out from the University’s

communication specialists and that is simply not acceptable.

ii. We advocated that if the University can have so many mistakes that

students are expected to forgive officials for, we should be able to send out

information to University of Kansas students (our constituents), without

approval from a university official. It is a matter of free speech at this

point.

3. I am working with Humberto to set a date for cabinet members to have their office hours

posted, either virtual or in-person.

 

4. I am continuing to look at the Office Policy Manual to formulate it into more of a

guidebook for future administrations. This will hopefully aid the transition process as we

get closer to the Spring Elections.

 

5. I am working with Humberto to finalize the time and day of StudEx meetings for the

remainder of the Spring Semester. If you have not filled out the When2Meet that was

emailed to StudEx, please be aware that responses are due back on 28 January (this

Friday), otherwise we might be unable to accommodate the needs of all members’

Schedules.

 

6. I plan to host the remainder of Cycle Eight (8) virtually as we continue to see Covid-19

cases rise at KU. So, the Student’s Assembly meeting this Wednesday will be hosted

exclusively on MS Teams. I will update folx on whether or not Cycle Nine (9) will be

virtual or hybrid by next Monday when I send legislation to the Council Chairs.

 

Social Justice Director

EOF meeting dates have been set and all board members have been selected. The application review process is contingent on a possible amendment. I believe Hammad will be bringing that through the Student’s Assembly this week.

 

Social Justice Council is going to be tabling soon. They're working on recruitment efforts to get numbers up, and they have some really great ideas for this semester. I'm excited to see the outcome and to support them as best I can.

 

I will share more information on the topic.

 

And lastly, DEI Retreat planning is fully underway. I'm looking at hosting the week in April. Each day will be representative of a different group of students on campus. Niya and I have talked about food trucks and music groups along with tabling. So, I'm currently going through and compiling a list of possible caterers along with the price and all the other necessary information. As soon as we have all the bids for everything we need, we'll be asking the DEIB Administration to match our budget. If you have any recommendations/suggestions/or ideas for the fair please let me know!

I'm always open to hearing them.

 

Vice Provost of DEI resigned from their position last week due to an act of plagiarism. I have not heard anything about how the office is looking at filling the position or taking action, but as soon as I do I will be sure to send out an update!

 

Government Relations

COVID

 

Chief of Staff

COVID

 

Working on the new website. Will be ready for revision this Friday.

Working on making the changes that need to be made to the Student Senate to match our new Constitution while also revising our new constitution for mistakes or possible changes.

 

 

 

University of Kansas – Staff Senate President Report – January-February 2022

 

Dec 8, Staff Senate

• Reference report from Jena Gunter, Staff Senate Secretary

 

Dec 9, Staff Senate Leadership Reading Discussion

• Discussion of Chapters 5-6 in relation to leadership experiences at KU

 

Dec 14, Staff Senate Leadership meeting with Provost

• What is the status of the Service Experience Councils website? o https://provost.ku.edu/service-experience-councils

o Just recently completed, if in need of corrections send notification to Jill Hummels

 

• What is the status of revising broadcast emails and communications? If daily communications are the approach, how is messaging prioritized within the communication? o Chancellor and Dave Cook are meeting with their teams over winter break for a hard reset

o Looking to create a once-a-day notification, would post on your website, and then aggregate up with title and headline (30-50 words) a link to your website, and this is organized by sections

o Developing principles of engagement, including organizing by target audience and clickable expansion for review

 

• What is the status of deans and VPs developing their goals and metrics under the 13 Jayhawks Rising initiatives? How are the equity advisors contributing to a DEIB lens in each initiative? o Collected all strategies, Provost and leadership reviewed the proposals to then develop teams

o Jeff DeWitt working on costs, investments and revenue generating tasks associated with these strategies

o Figuring out how to roll out and communicate membership in these teams in the Spring semester

o Provost reviewing these 13 initiatives with VPs on a monthly basis to ensure their work is aligning

o Embedding equity advisors in each initiative, working to craft inclusive excellence network with DA Graham § Access and Success

§ Institutional Climate and Intergroup Relations

§ Education and Scholarship

§ Institutional Infrastructure

§ Community Engagement

 

o At end of spring semester will have a report out, moving forward from there will use those meetings as presentation to DEI Council

 

• What is the timeframe for conducting a market study? How will this be implemented into next fiscal year and/or the five-year budget model? o Market study included in one of the strategies of the HR Service Experience Council with HR

o Pressing to have that done as soon as possible, Jeff, Doug and Barb met to discuss how to approach balancing within inflation period, both cost of living and merit, determine base, and then looking at how to equitably approach those raises

 

• What is the timeframe for making a decision on the interim status of the DEIB director? o Doing a search, ideally that would be forming right now, will be crafting committee and search will occur in the spring

o Have been conducting the Dean of CLAS currently, will also roll out in the spring, as well as VP for Jayhawks Global (retooling Sharron Graham position)

o Would like to meet in early January with Governance to discuss where we’re going with online instruction (currently presented to Deans and VPs)

o Jessica requests that Governance be included in these searches, on-campus visits with finalists would include Governance

 

• What information can you share about how the DEIB office and HR are addressing the recruitment and retention of staff, including those from marginalized communities? o Some of this is included in future plans from DEIB office, some is tied into Jayhawks Rising

o All things HR in the spring, in terms of searches, must have much more coordinated searches (approval to search and approval to hire)

o Better Up, focused on leadership and culture change, pilot group right now and how to roll out broadly, doing better than most organizations however we have work to do § Help the Provost support those who are doing the work (there is a lack of trust across the board)

§ Keep asking about that and how we get traction on how to help lead Jayhawks with heart

 

 

• What information can you share about how your office and other campus offices are working to address sexual assault prevention? o Tamera Durham having meetings with protestors to discuss where we’ve been, where we’re going

o Chancellor Sexual Assault and Prevention Task Force, existed under former Chancellor Bernadette Grey-Little, Provost will reinstate and review what did and did not happen, what can and cannot be done (due to current laws), report out and then formulate next steps from there

 

 

Dec 17, Bi-Weekly Governance Leadership meeting with Andrew Foster

• Heavy discussion of the Omicron variant

• Sense of defeat from the majority of Governance leadership

 

Jan 5, Staff Senate Executive Committee

• Reference report from Jena Gunter, Staff Senate Secretary

• Discussion of various topics, including: o Public Affairs revamp of campus communications to a once-a-day email, concerns regarding how to prioritize information, and will we be able to send out separate emails (i.e. senate newsletters, elections, surveys, etc.), Tim will follow up with Provost in February meeting

o Warranties & Representation Document, would request in-person job candidates sign that they are not sexual offenders, with General Council for review, question on status, Policy Office not aware, Remy and Tim to follow up with General Council

o Use of PD funds, need ideas for using funds beyond individual and unit PD, possible ideas include supporting university events (PR for us), staff appreciation items (possible distribution logistics issues), Tim will follow up with KBoR USS/UPS on there senate PD uses in February meeting

o DEI position review being conducted across campus, in coordination with Erin Duran

o New staff handbook currently with DEI and HR for revising, will need report out on status

o DEI training that is not publicly announced as mandatory is considered mandatory, reservations from campus leadership on having DEI training be the first required training due to possible blowback from the state, Provost supports mandatory approach but doesn't want DEI at the forefront, will push this coming academic year.

o Staff Senate chairs and chair-elects are tasked with reviewing the revised Staff Senate mission, five bold steps, and Jayhawks Rising initiatives, and comparing how their committee charges support those items by Friday, January7, for compiling and presenting at the Staff Senate Leadership Retreat next Wednesday

oStaff Senate beta website up, looking for senators to review and provide feedback, new site available via https://staffsenate.cms-dev.ku.edu/

oBroad concerns about Governance members not being permitted to serve on major university hiring committees and instead meeting with final candidates during campus visits (digital),Governance was involved with the Provost search, will need additional information on the validity of these concerns

o Governance non-involvement in Chancellor searches, but were involved in the Provost, some told that Governance is not directly involved in search but invited to meet with candidates for questions.

oConcerns over current staff taking on additional workload due to attrition, not a sustainable approach and many units are not rehiring, need breathing room to take time off and pursue PD, breathing room for staff to have days off, have PD, turnover leading to higher volume for longer periods of time, additionally those that are retiring need to be celebrated

 

Jan 5, Staff Senate Leadership meeting with Provost

•COVID

oHow does KU leadership work with Athletics in making decisions regarding health and safety?

§Athletics is informed from Chancellor and Pandemic Medical Advisory Team for making decisions

oHow will KU leadership address community spread concerns due to Athletics lifting the mask requirement?

§Shift from requirement to recommendation, based on inability to enforce the policy for the individual’s entire visit

§Staff on sight with signs that masks are required consistently berated and yelled at, can’t shut down game to require compliance, can’t opt out of contracts with Big 12and others

§The fundamental question that comes up from staff on sight is that they can’t enforce the requirement, so how do we go from there?

§From the Chancellor’s perspective, what’s core and what’s not, so will continue to focus on protecting the academic areas (classrooms, etc.)

§Concern from Hossein is that any protective measure is beneficial due to high-density environment

•Provost responds that we have little to no backing from the city or county, continue to have very pointed questions between our leadership and their leadership regarding this

oHow will KU leadership address other large venue decisions regarding the mask requirement

(i.e. Lied Center)?

§For the Lied Center, and similarly with the Spencer Art Museum, we carved out a requirement with the state that we are contractually obligated due to performances/touring companies

§For the Union, while they are separate, they are on-campus, and their events a real so covered by those contractual obligations

•Provost mentioned that decision on how classes will be conducted in the spring will be communicated to campus by the end of this week (1/7)

•CPO

oWhat is your vision for the new CPO? What kind of vision does the new CPO have for their role at the university?

§Provost not involved in hiring committee

 

§ Part of work with CFO Jeff DeWitt and reorganization of work off of Jason Hornberger, including Procurement, is to move from transactional to strategic sourcing

§ Fundamental tasks are to look at data, policies, and processes, assess how our organization can start vetting purchases on the front-end vs on the back end, how to work with Finance and Marie Taylor to assess redundant big-ticket items (including CRM systems), and then how to govern and sustain that vetting on a regular basis

§ Provost advises that next time Staff Senate visits with Jeff DeWitt, to ask him what his vision is for this role and see how they align with the Provost’s vision

 

o What kind of support will the new CPO and her office provide to staff regarding best procurement practices? § After data, policies and processes are reviewed, the CPO will provide recommendations, with perspective from Jeff DeWitt

§ Need to have the most efficient and effective processes, make as simple as possible for all parties, and staff need policy backing to be successful

§ Provost advises that next time Staff Senate visits with Jeff DeWitt and CPO, to ask them what principled guidance will be provided and how they will be able to support staff

 

o What are the next steps post-consolidation for the CFO office? § Provost clarified and Tim confirmed that this question is geared towards next steps after the move of Craig Alexander’s portfolio from under Jason Hornberger to Jeff DeWitt

§ Next steps are to develop a controller/comptroller role with a clear position description, watching how that shift occurs, see if that role has the capacity to execute, and then what needs to be modified to be successful, which included hiring a new CPO

§ For Craig Alexander’s role, he has a unique skillset both in Finance and Financial Operations, will move towards a role of quality improvement officer looking at functions, processes and procedures that require continuous improvement

§ Believes we have made the big cuts to personnel and programs, and in order to avoid this again KU needs growth, disciplined spending, and improved processes, all of which can be generated through the CFO and CPO work

§ For Jason Hornberger’s role, has had the biggest change, has passed a fair amount of reports to university-wide functions (AP/AR, Purchasing, Procurement), will move towards a role of future-oriented financing with dotted-line reporting for those making unit financial decisions • This will include 4+8 and 8+4 (described by the Provost as comparing budgets to actuals and year to year for variances at unit levels), how to manage finance during the course of the year and move towards future-oriented financing and strategic alignment

• Moving from general to all-funds budget reporting, when looking at all funds in those reports can identify accounts not fully utilized

• Advise unit leaders to spend instructional fees first, then restricted KUEA, and then come and ask for general fund requests (state, tuition) from common pool

• With KUEA, working to review stipulations and go back to donors to see if they modify the restrictions or go fallow for general ROI

 

 

January 7, Bi-Weekly Governance Leadership meeting with Andrew Foster

• Heavy discussion of the Omicron variant

• Hospitals are primarily seeing unvaccinated individuals - very few vaccinated are in the hospital and even fewer in ICU

• Discussion of start date and presence on campus for the spring semester

• Discussion of face masks and effectiveness against the Omicron variant

• Discussion of student housing, spread and isolation availability

• Discussion of flexibility level for faculty and staff

 

January 12, Staff Senate Leadership Retreat

• Presented details on the revised Staff Senate mission and five bold steps, KU mission and Jayhawks Rising initiatives

• Staff Senate chairs and chair-elects presented an assessment of how their current charges support the revised Staff Senate mission, five bold steps, KU mission, and Jayhawks Rising initiatives

• Conducted breakout sessions to discuss how Senator Responsibilities (Article XII) are supportive of leadership roles in Staff Senate and the greater university

• Conducted breakout sessions to discuss select topics from the Fall 2021 Staff Senate leadership reading The Extraordinary Power of Leader Humility by Marilyn Gist, specifically focused on diversity and leadership humility

 

January 18, UPS/USS Councils Monthly Meeting

• University reports

• Satisfaction Survey update

• Council bylaws/policies in Microsoft Teams (via Kansas State University)

• Discussion of availability and use of professional development funds for staff at KBoR institutions o KU – Senate budget, state allocation of $4,200 (general use, no carry forward), private $10,000 via Pepsi (PD use, carry forward), PD award up to $500 per staff member, have opened up to departments up to $500, looking to include professional memberships (approval TBD)

o ESU – No specific allotment, allotted professional development funds by each department ($ known), pool of funds at university level ($ unknown, previous $70-50K)

o PSU – No specific allotment, requests funds for PD from foundation (private), allotted certain amount and administer distribution, first come first serve through application, unused portion is returned to the foundation (private), during COVID numbers have decreased but still have some staff attending conferences

o WSU – Senate budget, not specifically allocated for PD, something we’ve talked about with administration, Adhoc requests currently for PD support, ideas of informal remote gathering every Friday (provided funding for giveaways during that time)

o FHSU – No specific allotment, $13,000 account from administration that staff can apply for PD use, foundation account employees can donate to in support of course textbooks ($200 per individual), PD day offered twice a year for faculty and staff with many tracks geared directly towards staff

o KSU – Senate budget, foundation allotment for PD ($500 per individual, carry forward) and textbook reimbursement ($100 per individual)

 

 

 

Faculty Senate President’s Report to the University Senate 2022.02.03

 (Updates since 2022.01.27 Faculty Senate meeting are underlined)

The following is a partial list of ongoing issues, with brief status updates on each

  1. COVID

    1. VP Brown, VP Roberts, and A. Foster will take questions from faculty and staff during the 2022.01.27 Faculty Senate meeting.
    2. The Provost’s Office issued guidance for the spring on 2022.01.10, with more detailed

directions sent to deans/directors later that week.

    1. Governance leaders have been meeting with VP Brown and A. Foster weekly to receive updates and advocate for changes to the plans for spring, but Governance leaders had no role in determining the plans for spring.
  1. Program discontinuance:
    1. For programs that the Provost and University Senate agreed to discontinue, final recommendations to discontinue have been forwarded to the Chancellor. As of 2022.01.31, final recommendations for the remaining programs have not been issued.
  2. Financial Situation
    1. Governor’s budget includes increased support for higher education, including raises and increased need-based support for students. This is great news, but it is still early in the legislative session.
  3. Email communications from governance leaders
    1. The Chancellor and Provost have said there will be a reworking of campus communication strategies this spring, and that governance messages will be part of the new system. It is not clear to me exactly what is being proposed or how it will work.
    2. My position is that governance must have the right to email constituents directly regardless of the new campus-wide communications strategy.
  4. Policies and Procedures
    1. Policies/Procedures Previously Approved by Faculty Senate

      1. Academic workload policy:

        1. On 2021.11.18, the Faculty Senate voted in support of a draft academic workload policy. It was then sent for public comment, and the only comment received prompted no revisions. The draft will next be sent to the Provost and Chancellor.
      2. Hearings on Dismissal of Tenured Faculty:
        1. Faculty Senate passed an amendment to FSRR Article 7 on 2021.11.18. No comments were received during the public comment period, so the amendment has been sent to the Provost and Chancellor for approval.
    2. Faculty Senate Policies/Procedures
      1. FRB Procedures for Dismissal of Tenured faculty:

        1. Ad-hoc committee chair L. Mulligan and member R. Lequesne met with VP Brown and M. Taylor, Associate General Counsel, to discuss the ad-hoc committee’s draft. Although there is much agreement, substantive unresolved issues remain.
        2. These procedures cannot be changed without the support of the faculty senate, so no changes will be made unless they are a net positive for faculty.

 

It is not clear whether consensus will be reached in time for the senate to vote on the draft this term.

      1. FSRR 2.5 – KBOR redefinition of a baccalaureate degree (so-called “credit cap”)

        1. In response to changes to the KBOR definition of a Baccalaureate degree, revisions to FSRR 2.5 have been proposed and are being reviewed by AP&P. The changes concern the maximum number of credits that may be transferred to KU from a community college.
    1. University Senate Policies/Procedures
      1. USRR 2.1.1 – Excused absence policy:

        1. A proposal to revise USRR 2.1.1 has been reviewed by AP&P and FRPR. AP&P supports the draft but FRPR was divided. FacEx discussed the draft on 2021.11.30 and asked K. Reed, C. Maley, and S. Williams to revise the draft and bring it back to FacEx/FRPR.
      2. USRR 2.3.3 – Medical or compassionate retroactive withdrawals:
        1. Revisions passed SenEx on 2021.12.07. It will be on an upcoming University Senate agenda.
      3. USRR Article VIII – Program discontinuance
        1. The Ad-hoc committee drafted a substantially revised Article VIII that was sent to the Provost’s and General Counsel’s Offices for review. Ad-hoc committee chair H. Feldman and members R. Levy and A. Kokobobo met with VP Roberts, VP Brown, and M. Taylor, Associate General Counsel, to discuss the draft. Discussions are ongoing.
        2. These procedures cannot be changed without the support of the University Senate, so no changes will be made unless they are a net positive for campus. It is not clear whether consensus will be reached in time for the senate to vote on the draft this term.
      4. USRR XX – Accommodations for students victimized by sexual assault
        1. A. Kokobobo is working with a group to draft rules that would articulate that faculty are to provide reasonable accommodations for students victimized by sexual assault.
    2. Other/Misc.
      1. Policy Development

        1. Governance leaders discussed revising the policy on policy development (https://policy.ku.edu/university-policy-program) with Provost Bichelmeyer. The Provost will not change the policy, but suggested maybe changing the procedures.
        2. We proposed changes to the procedures (https://policy.ku.edu/policy-development-process) that would give the Governance Office authority to determine whether University Governance must review a draft policy. Currently the authority to determine whether governance must review a draft lies with the Policy Office (see step 1d of procedures). Discussions are ongoing.
  1. KBOR
    1. Extra ‘tenure-clock’ year for tenure-track faculty who began at KU in Fall 2020

      1. KBOR voted 8-0 in favor of extending by one year the probationary period for tenure-track faculty who started in Fall 2020. I’m told VP Brown’s office will issue revised guidance this term.
      2. This is the same extension previously approved for tenure-track faculty who were in their probationary period during the spring of 2020.
      3. No extension was requested for faculty who started in Spring of 2021, as their

‘clock’ starts the following fall (fall 2021) by rule.

    1. AP Cut-scores review

      1. By rule, the Council of Faculty Senate Presidents is to engage with chairs every five years to review the minimum AP score accepted for each topic area. The review is required this spring.
      2. If your unit wants to change the currently-accepted minimum AP score (a so-called ‘cut-score’) for a course taught in your department, please contact your chair. K. Reed is sending the request for review to chairs during the week of 2022.01.24. We hope to receive responses by mid-February.
    2. KBOR General education policy
      1. There is a statewide effort to create a general education transfer system, wherein designated courses are guaranteed to transfer freely within the Kansas system.
      2. A framework has been mostly established, and an implementation committee consisting largely of registrars and advisors has been assembled. I have not seen the proposed framework.
      3. Later this spring a statewide committee of faculty will be assembled to write learning outcomes for affected general education courses. I will share whatever I learn about this.
    3. KBOR-mandated program review
      1. In a meeting on 2021.11.23, VP Roberts shared that KU is working on a data-driven approach for program assessment founded on Academic Analytics data compiled in an rpk-assembled dashboard available to campus administrators. The stated goal is to reduce the workload on chairs associated with the 8-year program review required by KBOR and to provide more frequent assessments of program performance throughout the review cycle.
      2. KU’s efforts seem aligned with KBOR’s desire to move the KBOR system towards ROI-based program review. It appears KBOR might also hire rpk to lead a statewide look at program review.
      3. Governance leaders raised concerns about accuracy of data and emphasized the need to contextualize the data before making inferences about program value, quality, or performance.
  1. Data analytics on campus
    1. In Jan. 2022, Governance leaders proposed forming a task group of faculty and administrators to discuss the increased use of quantitative data and metrics to inform campus decisions. The aim of the proposed effort is to “Agree to a set of principles that inform the role of data analytics in decision making processes at The University of Kansas. The aim is to increase trust and openness, and also to guide appropriate and fair use of data in decision making. These principles should be written into policy and reassessed periodically.”
    2. Discussions with the Provost’s Office are ongoing. I aim to get this moving early this term.
  2. CLAS Dean Search
    1. Search committee was named, but I am not aware of a position description.
  3. DEIB VP Search
    1. We have been told a search will be announced in the spring.

 

Recommend a change to the end of the University / Faculty Senate meeting calendar. The past practice has been to have the organizational meeting the second to last Senate meeting of the year. Then we would only hold an additional meeting (after elections) if needed.  Now that we have separate meetings,

 If we switch the calendar to have the last Faculty Senate Meeting on April 21, 2022, and the Organizational meeting on April 28, 2022, we would be in alignment with the Code. In addition, this would allow a FacEx meeting on April 26.  The last meeting of years would be on May 3.  This is the joint SenEx/FacEx meeting, which includes the outgoing and incoming members.   This allows extra time for the students to have their SenEx and Senate appointments for FY2023.

 Tuesday, March 22, 2022

SenEx

3:00-5:00 p.m. Zoom

Thursday, March 24, 2022

Faculty Senate

3:15-4:45 p.m. Zoom

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

FacEx

3:00-5:00 p.m. Zoom

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

SenEx

3:00-5:00 p.m. Zoom

Thursday, April 7, 2022

University Senate-Chief of Policy Molsey

3:15-4:45 p.m. Zoom

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

FacEx

3:00-5:00 p.m. Zoom

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

SenEx

3:00-5:00 p.m. Zoom

Thursday, April 21, 2022

University/Faculty Organizational Meeting

3:15-5:00 p.m. Zoom

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Joint SenEx/FacEx -incoming/outgoing

3:00-5:00 p.m. Zoom

Thursday, April 28, 2022

University/Faculty Senate Organizational Meeting

3:15-4:45 p.m. Zoom

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Joint SenEx/FacEx -incoming/outgoing

3:00-4:00 SenEx
4:00-5:00 FacEx Zoom

Thursday, May 5, 2022

Last Day - classes

  Article I. University Senate: Structure and Functions

 Section 7. Election of Officers

CODE:
Election of officers shall be held at the annual organizational meeting, to be held at the last meeting of the year, before the last day of spring semester classes. Only those persons expected to serve as members of the University Senate during the next ensuing academic year shall be eligible to participate and to vote at this organizational meeting. A majority of those so eligible shall constitute a quorum to transact the business of the meeting. The meeting shall be closed to non‑members of the University Senate except by consent of two‑thirds of those eligible to attend who are present and voting.

When drafting the calendar for FY2023, we will look at arranging the SenEx or FacEx meeting the week before a Senate meeting, which would allow items to be added to the Senate agendas.