SenEx-University Senate Executive Committee 3/08/16
(This meeting may be electronically recorded.)
- Approval of minutes from February 23, 2016
- Standing Reports
- University Senate President Mike Williams
B. Faculty Senate President Tom Beisecker
C. Student Senate President Zach George
D. Staff President Chris Wallace
- Response from Jim Tracy about Employee Invention Assignment Agreement
- Weapons Committees
- Chancellor and Provost Committees
- What should be done with the Senate Ad Hoc Weapons Committee
- Unfinished Business
- New Business
Approved March 29, 2016.
PRESENT: Mike Williams, Tom Beisecker, Joe Harrington, Ron Barrett-Gonzalez, Zach George Brent Lee, Chance Maginness, Amalia Monroe-Gulick, Liz Phillips, Chris Wallace, Peggy Robinson
ABSENT: Pam Keller Mady Womack
ALSO PRESENT: Maureen Altman and Kathy Reed, University Governance; Mohammed El-Hodiri, AAUP
Mike William called the meeting to order, announced that the meeting was being recorded, and asked for announcements.
MINUTES for February 23, 2016 were approved.
(Reports were given in reverse order, starting with Staff Senate President).
Staff Senate President
Nothing to report.
Student Senate President
Zach George reported that Student Senate will be discussing the fee package tomorrow. The
Finance Committee voted a two dollar increase for the UDK. However there was some debate about the increase, and the fee package may be sent back to the committee for amendment. (According to Student Senate rules only the Finance Committee can amend the fee package). Two dollars was approved for the Office of Multi-Cultural Affairs which would then be passed on to fund the Multi-Cultural Student Government. George said that before he resigns from Student Senate on Wednesday to accept a job in Washington D.C. he intends to encourage debate on the Multi-Cultural Student Government since he has reservations about it. He believes that the Student Senate can achieve goals of inclusion without a separate government, and also has concerns about the lawfulness of the Multi-Cultural Student Government, for example their desire to become part of University Governance.
George explained that Student Senate reviews the Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities every two years. He explained that the document was authored in 1970’s and has become so convoluted that it is causing lawsuits because the language is unclear. Student Affairs has given Student Senate a draft to amend which includes off-campus jurisdiction. George endorsed working with the draft but the Student Rights Subcommittee voted to work with the old code although Student Senate has been told that the a draft of the old code will not be approved by the Chancellor and the new draft will replace it. The goal is that the code be approved by Student Senate by the end of the academic year when it would be sent to the Chancellor and KBOR for approval this summer. George added that while some students felt that, since some rights were removed from the draft their right to protest was being taken away, the reality is that some rights were removed because they are covered in the United States Constitution, for example first amendment rights. Maginness added that besides jurisdiction there is no loss of rights in the new draft code.
George announced that this will be his last meeting and thanked everyone for the chance to serve. SenEx members thanked him and wished him well.
Faculty Senate President/FacEx Chair
Tom Beisecker reported that he and Williams met with Interim Provost Sara Rosen and Vice Provost Mary Lee Hummert this morning and discussed the impact of State budget changes. They agreed that Governance needs to have additional knowledge of what is happening as well as the effects, and Rosen offered to speak to University Senate along with Diane Goddard, Vice Provost for Administration & Finance. Williams added that he has asked Maureen Altman to invite them to the April 7 University Senate meeting. Maginness asked if a university-wide strategy to protest budget changes was being considered. It was pointed out that, while individual protest is allowed, it is illegal for the University to lobby politically.
University Senate President/SenEx Chair
Williams reported that at the next University Senate meeting on March 24, the new Vice Provost of Undergraduate Studies will speak. Adding to part of George’s report, Williams explained that the University has off-campus jurisdiction for anything that regards Title 9 (federal law) and would like to add related types of incidents that deserve reporting such as alcohol abuse, and unwillingness to respond to reasonable requests. Ron Barrett-Gonzalez asked if this referred to before or after adjudication. Liz Phillips explained that depending on the incident it could be either, and added that the level of proof is less regarding the student code, which demands preponderance of guilt rather than guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt as required in court. While Beisecker agreed with Barrett-Gonzalez’ concerns regarding adjudications, he pointed out that procedures are dictated by the federal government in Title 9 issues. Kathy Reed added that students do have due process to a certain degree at the University, although as Liz Phillips noted not to the level of the courts. Chance Maginness added that a student’s peers are involved in adjudications and students look out for students.
Referring to the issue which Barrett-Gonzalez introduced at the last SenEx meeting, Williams reported that Hummert informed him that the IP policy was re-written and approved to match what Rudolfo Torres of the IP policy committee had presented to the faculty a year ago.
Update on weapons committees
Williams reported he will chair the Provost’s weapons implementation committee which will receive their charges soon and begin intense work after spring break. He assured SenEx that all university constituencies are represented. He reported that the Chancellor’s committee on weapons policy will essentially mirror KBOR’s policy with some changes. One of their concerns, which will spill over to the Provost’s committee, will be what constitutes university property, examining whether space leased by the University but owned by a non-state party is under university rules, such as the medical center in Salina and Rock Chalk Park.
Williams said that he will be giving another information session at KU Med and that he also conducted a session for night staff last week, adding that members of SenEx should meet the night staff and thank them.
In response to a question from Barrett-Gonzalez, Williams explained that the hospital side of KU Med will probably not be required to follow the concealed carry policy and added that the committee hopes the legislature will allow key swipe security between the hospital and the University areas. He noted that there will be no state funding to support the weapons mandate, and no university funding for security implemented on a unit level.
George distributed a potential amendment to student membership on parking commission.
- Voting members. The Provost shall appoint the voting members from lists of persons recommended by the groups named: Three members of the student body
including a member of the University Transit Commission and a representative of AbleHawksrecommended by the Student Senate Executive Committee; three members of the faculty, one of whom may be an emeritus faculty member, recommended by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee; four staff recommended by the Staff Senate.
- Ex officio, non-voting members. The ex-officio non-voting members shall be the Chief Financial Officer of the Lawrence campus, the Vice Provost responsible for Parking &Transit or his/her designee; the Vice Provost for Administration and Finance; the Director of Design and Construction Management or his/her designee; the Chief Justice of the Court of Parking Appeals or a Court officer; the Director of the Office of Public Safety, or his/her designee; the Director of Parking & Transit, the Assistant Director of Parking & Transit, and the Transportation Coordinator or a member of the Transit Commission (student).
He explained that the rationale for the changes was that since the currently required student membership is so specific it is difficult to fill the student positions, especially from AbleHawks whose membership has been struggling; consequently there has been a serious lack of student representation. To ensure KU transit representation the Transit Commission member would be added as an ex officio member. SenEx members expressed concern about lack of disabilities representation and asked if AbleHawks was amenable to the change. George said they hadn’t been notified. Reed explained that AbleHawks membership had been added just two years ago at the request of the Parking Commission but AbleHawks was unaware of the addition at the time and the position has never been filled. Beisecker noted that there are two issues, student representation and disabilities representation. George asked that the amendment be accepted to improve student representation and that disabilities representation be considered separately. SenEx decided to table the amendment until George could provide information about disabilities representation and suggest an amended proposal.
Motion to table the amendment until George can provide a clean motion to improve student representation and make a clear statement that people with disabilities have fair representation. Williams/Harrington. Passed.
There was no further business. The meeting was adjourned at 3:44 p.m.