• Home
  • SenEx-University Senate Executive Committee 11/01/16

SenEx-University Senate Executive Committee 11/01/16

SenEx
November 1, 2016 - 3:00pm
Provost’s Conference Room
Agenda: 

(This meeting may be electronically recorded.)

  1. Announcements
     
  2. Approval of minutes from October 18, 2016
     
  3. Standing Reports
  1. University Senate President Joe Harrington
  2. Faculty Senate President Pam Keller
  3. Student Senate President Gabby Naylor
  4. Staff Senate President Liz Phillips
  1. Campus Carry
  1. Further review of University Program Policy amendments (“Policy on Policies”)
  1. Unfinished Business
  1. New Business
     

 

Minutes: 

Approve: November 1, 2016  as corrected

MEMBERS PRESENT: Joe Harrington, Suzanne Shontz, Pam Keller, Pam Fine, Ruben Flores, Charlotte Goodman, Dylan Jones, Jacob Murray, Brian Moss, Gabby Naylor, Brittney Oleniacz, Liz Phillips

FY17 MEMBERS ABSENT: Amalia Monroe-Gulick (excused), Tom Beisecker (excused)

ALSO PRESENT: Maureen Altman and Kathy Reed, University Governance; Jonathan Clark, University Senate;

Joe Harrington called the meeting to order and asked for anGabby Naylor reported that the Student Senate executive staff has received bystander training and the training will be provided to others in the senate.  They are looking at ideas for campus fees for the fee review at the end of January.  There is a union referendum bill concerning the request for a fifty-dollar fee for renovations to the Kansas Union.nouncements.

MINUTES for October 18, 2016 were approved as corrected.

Report of University Senate President

Harrington reported that he has asked the Provost for a cost benefit analysis on consultants (ex. Shorelight, Huron, Academic Analytics, etc.).  Pam Keller added that FacEx has appointed a faculty member to the new faculty position Stuart Day (Interim Vice Provost for Academic Affairs) has created on the Shorelight committee.   

REPORT OF FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT

Pam Keller reported on the last kbor meeting.  KBOR has submitted an RFP (Request for Proposal) to choose a search firm and plan to choose the search committee before the end of semester with the search starting in early 2017.  KBOR President and CEO Blake Flanders had reported that the current search at KState is a closed search.  COFSP (Council of Faculty Senate Presidents) is creating a resolution in support of FORESIGHT 2020’s goal that sixty percent of the Kansas population have a degree, which will support the needs of the state.  KBOR wants transfer credit made easier to attain that goal.  The KBOR Governance Committee is looking at the weapons policies for Emporia State and Ft Hayes and will look at others including KU’s in November.  After all the policies are reviewed the committee will approve them all at the same time.  Harrington noted that Emporia State approved the policy on their campus before the KBOR decision.  Keller added that universities will be watching KBOR’s statements regarding Emporia’s State’s requirement of guns being unloaded.    

REPORT OF STUDENT SENATE PRESIDENT

Gabby Naylor reported that the Student Senate executive staff has received bystander training and the training will be provided to others in the senate.  They are looking at ideas for campus fees for the fee review at the end of January.  There is a union referendum bill concerning the request for a fifty-dollar fee for renovations to the Kansas Union.

REPORT OF STAFF SENATE PRESIDENT

Liz Phillips extended her thanks for the common books provided by the Provost to Employees of the Month and added that she and President-Elect Brian Moss will sign them.  COFSP was asked to look at the request for reciprocal tuition assistance for dependents which was made by classified employees at the KBOR COPS (Council of Presidents) meeting; KU doesn’t have tuition assistance for dependents.  Some of the other concerns voiced at COPS were benefit and parking costs.  Expressing frustration about overlap in staff and students efforts regarding voter registration, Moss suggested there be coordinated efforts within governance both on this and possibly other issues.  Regarding voting Jacob Murray suggested contacting the Dole Institute. 

CAMPUS CARRY

Acknowledging that student and staff senates have statements regarding campus carry Harrington asked if SenEx wants to suggest University Senate create a statement and, if so, what it should contain.  SenEx agreed and Harrington’s adaptation (at the end of the minutes) of Emporia State’s resolution was discussed as a potential statement. In response to Pam Fine’s suggestion to add a call to action for the legislature, Harrington cautioned that senate could be accused of lobbying.  Several questions were raised: whether support for an exemption (preferably permanent) be added; whether “vast majority” covers the fact that not everyone on campus objects; whether it should be suggested that each university can choose campus carry, since some agree with the policy; whether the statement should be limited to Lawrence or say KU to include the Medical School.  Harrington offered to work on the document and present it at the November 15 SenEx meeting.  He suggested SenEx members encourage other universities to issue a statement.

ACTION: HARRINGTON will work on language OF THE CAMPUS CARRY STATEMENT AND PRESENT IT TO SENEX AT THE NEXT MEETING ON NOVEMBER 15.  SENEX MEMBERS WILL CONTACT HIM WITH ANY IDEAS. 

FURTHER DISCUSSION OF UNIVERSITY PROGRAM POLICY (“POLICY ON POLICIES”) AMENDMENTS    

At Harrington’s request Jonathan Clark recapped the issue.  Several policies in the Policy Library had been made or amended without Senate input and he noted that the practice was a top down command rather than a result of shared governance.  As at previous meetings he again proposed a committee be created to find policies that senate would want to look at and to review the University Program Policy as well.  Referring to Harrington’s list from the Policy Library (link at the end of the minutes) Clark noted that the policies would be easy to go through and offered to help the committee which would probably not need to have a large membership.  Suzanne Shontz moved that the committee be composed of one faculty member (Jonathan Clark), one staff member and one student member.  After concerns were expressed that departments should have their own policies it was suggested that additional language be added to distinguish between policies senate has a stake or interest in and those it doesn’t. 

Motion to create a temporary ad hoc committee consisting of one faculty member, one staff member, and one student to review university-wide policies and identify those that should come to the attention of the University Senate.  Shontz/Oleniacz.  Passed.

SenEx also decided that appointment of staff and student members would be done by the respective presidents.

ACTION: LIZ PHILLIPS AND GABBY NAYLOR WILL APPOINT A MEMBER FROM THEIR CONSTITUENCIES TO THE AD HOC POLICY REVIEW COMMITTEE

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Chancellor Search Letter

Harrington read KBOR Chair Zoe Newton’s response to SenEx’s Chancellor Search letter (included after the minutes).  SenEx agreed to recommend to University Senate that they create a resolution to send back to KBOR.  SenEx decided to propose the same text as their letter with the addition of a description of University Senate to make it clear both that it was from another body and that senate adopts the SenEx resolution.  Keller noted that the faculty senate president was invited to the last Chancellor search committee. Staff and students were also on the committee.  Faculty senate is also included on KState’s search. 

Motion for University Senate to adopt SenEx’s Chancellor Search letter adding a description of University Senate.  Oleniacz/Keller. 

ACTION: PUT MODIFIED CHANCELLOR SEARCH LETTER ON UNIVERSITY SENATE AGENDA.

KU Login Language

As a reminder Harrington read the new language of the Enroll & Pay login which concerned SenEx/Senate and told SenEx that the Chancellor wasn’t aware of the change.  He shared the response Keller received from Leisa I. Julian, Vice Chancellor, Chief Financial Officer to her inquiry about the issue, and his response from Matt Melvin, Vice Provost for Enrollment Management (which oversees Student Information Systems for the Office of the Registrar).  He also read the response he received from Karen Bailey, Director of Account Services, along with his reply to her. (Material is at the end of the minutes.)  Harrington pointed out that clicking on the login was essentially signing a contract and that like other sites you should be asked to click only if you are buying something.  While she didn’t see the language as binding or problematic for users who were not incurring fees, Keller noted that the perception was that this is a blanket statement, going beyond what was needed, and other language should be found and/or the statement should occur later, as Gabby Naylor said it does when students enroll.  Suzanne Shontz expressed concern that it should be removed before faculty enter grades in December and Jonathan Clark said the Provost should be asked to remove the language quickly, changing the software later.  Harrington said that he will try meeting Bailey if he doesn’t get a response and tell her the language is a problem.

ACTION: HARRINGTON WILL FOLLOW UP WITH KAREN BAILEY REGARDING NEW ENROLL & PAY LOGIN LANGUAGE

GTA health insurance subsidy

Oleniacz’ requested an update on the issue of the IRS’s ruling that KU can no longer offer subsidies for health insurance to GTA’s.  Harrington said that the IRS has changed its mind and will allow universities to subsidize individuals for the foreseeable future.

NEW BUSINESS

Explaining the rationale for her and Ron Barrett-Gonzalez’ proposed Ad Hoc Committee on Intellectual Property Policy and the Pre-Invention assignment Agreement, Shontz explained that the agreement is inconsistent with typical employee rights and not like other universities, adding that it creates problems for engineers.  The issue is a question of who owns what as well as the fact that, although those involved work in summer when not employed by the University, the University demands the pre-agreement so no one wants to hire them.  Shontz referred SenEx to the table listing inventions per unit (at the end of the minutes).  She explained that the proposed membership of the committee reflects that the issue affects faculty, staff, and students, and added that they want people in unions and with IP issues.  Shontz said that after talking to Harrington it was decided that it should be a two-year committee.

Motion to approve the creation of the Ad Hoc Committee on Intellectual Property Policy and the Pre-Invention assignment Agreement.  Shontz/Fine.  Failed.

Keller explained that the same issue had been raised by the Engineering School in 2013 and as a result a committee, chaired by Andrew Torrance, Professor of Law, was formed to review their concerns.  [University of Kansas Bi-Campus Committee on Patent Ownership and Faculty Consultation].  The committee, which had broad representation, met for a year, looked at other schools policies, and recommended changes which were approved by Faculty Senate and the administration.  She observed that while there probably was not universal agreement the policy was supported by Faculty Senate.  She and Barrett-Gonzalez reviewed the policy and agreement this summer.  The administration agreed that nothing in the agreement would go beyond the policy.  Noting that the devil is in the details Keller explained that it was acknowledged that there might be problems for Engineering but that there isn’t currently knowledge of other problems because the agreement is not in place yet.  When asked the status of the policy and agreement, Keller said she had heard that it was still with the Medical School).  The question was asked whether the documents should be edited by Engineering in communication with the administration or whether governance should wait and see if other schools have concerns.  Shontz expressed concern that the problem exists now.  Keller observed that some problems may not actually be problems but misunderstandings in how the agreement will be applied. Consulting is permitted under the policy.  She suggested Engineering should have General Counsel answer their questions and added that it might be better to talk to Rodolfo Torres first.

Motion to have Shontz and Keller meet with Rodolfo Torres and General Counsel regarding the Intellectual Property Policy and Employee Invention Assignment and report back to SenEx.  Oleniacz/Jones.  Passed.

Action: Shontz and Keller will meet with General Counsel regarding Intellectual Property Policy and Employee Invention Assignment Agreement, and report back to Senex.

Meeting adjourned at 4:34

Respectfully submitted,

Maureen Altman

 

MEETING MATERIALS

 

CAMPUS CARRY

Harrington’s adaptation of Emporia State’s

Resolution Objecting to Allowing Concealed Weapons on the KU Lawrence Campus

Whereas, the University Senate of the University of Kansas is concerned about the safety of the campus community,

and

Whereas, the vast majority of students, staff, and faculty who participated in the Docking Institute survey expressed opposition to allowing concealed weapons on campus,

and

Whereas, the University Senate is responsible for acting in behalf of the Lawrence campus’ faculty, staff, and students,

Therefore,

be it resolved that the University Senate wishes to express its opposition, in the strongest possible terms, to allowing concealed weapons on the University of Kansas campus.

 

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

 

UNIVERSITY PROGRAM POLICY (POLICY ON POLICIES)-Browse Policies by Office

 

 


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today
Governance Meetings