• Home
  • SenEx-University Senate Executive Committee 10/20/15

SenEx-University Senate Executive Committee 10/20/15

SenEx
October 20, 2015 - 3:00pm
Provost’s Conference Room
Agenda: 

(This meeting may be electronically recorded.)

AGENDA

  1. Announcements
     
  2. Approval of minutes from September 29, 2015
     
  3. Standing Reports
  1.  University Senate President Mike Williams

            B.        Faculty Senate President Tom Beisecker

            C.        Student Senate President Zach George

            D.        Staff President Chris Wallace

  1. Donna Hultine, Director of Parking and Transit.
  1. Old Business
     
  2. New Business

 

Minutes: 

Approved November 3, 2015

PRESENT: Mike Williams, Tom Beisecker, Joe Harrington, Pam Keller, Zach George, Shegufta Huma, Brent Lee, Chance Maginness, Amalia Monroe-Gulick, Liz Phillips, Peggy Robinson, Chris Wallace

ABSENT:  Ron Barrett-Gonzalez (excused)

ALSO PRESENT: Maureen Altman and Kathy Reed, Governance; Amy Smith, Policy Office; Sara Shepherd, LJ World

SenEx Chair Mike Williams called the meeting to order. And asked for announcements

MINUTES for September 29, 2015 were approved.  

STANDING REPORTS

University Senate President/SenEx Chair

Mike Williams reported that he has been having conservations with several people regarding guns on campus.  He emphasized that it is important to represent differences of opinion in a constructive manner.  The Ad Hoc Weapons Committee’s next step is to look into what other states and schools are doing.    

Faculty Senate President/FacEx Chair

Tom Beisecker reported that KBOR’s position is that the gun exemption will end July, 31, 2017.  They consider it a closed issue and that trying to get it revisited by the legislation would be counterproductive to other KBOR issues.  Implementation is the issue now.  A faculty/staff survey, probably using some of the students’ survey questions, is planned.  The survey will be presented at the November COFSP meeting.  KBOR’s legislature liaison’s assessment is that next year’s legislature will be dealing with most of the same issues as last year, perhaps with greater intensity.

Student Senate President

Zach George reported that the proposal to create a student fee to help finance the new Burge Union will be going to the full senate; he thinks it will pass. 

George learned from Provost Vitter that the tobacco free campus policy, planned to go into effect in July, will be postponed to gather more input on the issue.  The Provost’s Office, Student Senate and HR will hold a town hall meeting for more discussion.  

The Committee on Status of Minorities, will meet today and will be working this semester to provide action items for administration regarding multicultural issues on campus.  One item will be to concentrate on more ethnicity choices on the KU application.

The gun survey which is being done by KBOR Student Advisory Committee in partnership with the Docking Institute will be pushed back to give Kansas Senate Majority Leader Terry Bruce the opportunity to look at language.

Staff Senate President

Chris Wallace had nothing to report.

Parking and Transit

Mike Williams introduced Donna Hultine, Director of Parking and Transit and Barry Swanson, Associate Vice Provost for Campus Operations to discuss parking.  Referring to this fall’s student petition regarding parking changes, Hultine explained that several unpopular changes this year were the result of a perfect storm of increased rates needed to pay for fifteen million dollars in deferred maintenance and the loss of many spaces due to increased construction created by the Master Plan.  Since Parking is completely self-supporting it was necessary to raise rates but, despite the expense, Parking felt the maintenance which hadn’t been done in the past was necessary, adding that if problems aren’t fixed now we will lose the parking we have.  Citing the Five-Year plan for repairs which she will send to Williams, Hultine said that almost all the maintenance problems will be fixed in the next five-years.  She noted the plan contained estimates that were a little short of actual costs; Swanson added that increased construction in general has made costs more competitive, driving up prices and making it difficult to project costs.  In answer to a question about future rate increases, Hultine said she thinks this is the end of these aggressive increases; there will probably be percentage increases in future years to avoid the current situation of large deferred costs.  

ACTION: Hultine will send Williams a link to the Five-Year plan

Rather than specifically addressing the parking questions he had forwarded to her, Williams suggested Hultine take questions from the committee. 

Keller asked how the Regent’s policy that Parking be self-sufficient impacts new building.  Hultine said that sometimes parking is value engineered out of new building; sometimes donor dollars build parking lots which Parking then maintains.

In response to a question about comparative costs, Hultine said that a stall in a surface lot is $5,000-$8,000 and in a parking garage it is 20,000 per stall.

Williams asked Hultine to address the Park and Ride environment.  Hultine explained that originally freshman who lived off campus had to use Park and Ride so it was busy.  However that rule is no longer in effect.  Also, as the result of studies showing that about 90% of the Park and Ride lot was being used as a parking lot by West campus, the lot was changed to a yellow permit lot.  There currently isn’t enough ridership to increase the frequency of buses—every eight minutes at peak (7:00am-3:00pm)—or have express routes.

New parking will be created behind the Lied and in the space opened by the demolition of McCollum.  Williams expressed concern about students walking from the lot near Lied at night and ask about security.  Hultine said there will be more lighting, and Maginness added that lighting on the bridge is much better.  Hultine said she would send information about security. 

Action: Hultine will send security answers she has received from the security report.

As more data from license plate recognition is studied changes may be made to better utilize space.  Popular lots like 90 are crowded while there are several open spaces across Naismith.  Hultine said that they are looking into software which will allow them to post available spaces online.  She said that there is no scientific formula to determine how many permits of each color to issue.  For example, last year Parking knew they were losing staff parking but if they made changes according to pricing it would have pushed out students.  Hultine added that Parking will ask the Parking Commission to put graduate students in more open lots which will free up space for more student parking. 

Parking is considering electric car charging sites. 

Williams asked if there were plans for assigning lots and the problem of overbooking which may result.  Hultine said that some schools use a gate system but she prefers enforcement over gated lots.  She and Swanson both said they don’t want to go in the direction of assigned lots but if that were instituted Hultine said she would want to undersell the lot to allow for people who had to move around. 

Beisecker mentioned that there is a small group of faculty in central campus who feel it is an injustice in eliminating gold permits behind Bailey and Strong and feel that, at $1200 for a permit, it’s a revenue grab.  One of the retired faculty said it resulted in his having difficulty conducting research and he questioned how much revenue it added.  Hultine and Swanson said the change was made because of traffic on the boulevard, not to increase revenue.  They asked Beisecker to forward the faculty members information to them and they would try to help him. 

Hultine offered to send Williams answers to the questions he had forwarded to her before the meeting.

ACTION: Hultine will answer the questions forwarded before the meeting and send them to Williams.

Williams asked how the Senate can help Parking make decisions and keep constituents informed.  Hultine said that while she receives great email comments with lots of input, open forums are not well attended.  Many suggested that part of the reason the parking forum held each semester wasn’t well attended may be the time.  Williams suggested that, since it is difficult to find a convenient time for everyone, as well as the fact that parking is such a big issue this year, either more than one forum a semester might be considered or holding the forums at different times.  The suggestion was made that it would help if Parking shared meeting minutes; Kathy offered that Governance put them on the Governance website.  Hultine noted that the fall forum seemed to be more about complaints, whereas the Spring forum addressed more information about what Parking is doing.  Williams suggest Governance ask people to come with solutions.  Swanson encouraged the University community ask questions.  Hultine concluded that there will continue to be growing pains, especially in the Central District, but it will get better.

Old Business

Referencing University Senate’s October 8 discussion to amend USRR 6.8.3 Annotations, Williams asked the committee take the amendment off the table.  There were concerns expressed at the Senate meeting that the change was negating responsibility.  Williams explained that the annotations don’t deal with actions of the entire review processes of the board, but rather on disputes over interpretations of procedures.  The reason for the amendment was that making that universal across the board hadn’t been amplified well.  He further explained that Kathy provided a solution in creating a templated format to record from the meeting minutes any notations which would help future chairs understand how certain provisions had been interpreted rather than trying to annotate the entire process which wasn’t the intent.  Kathy will still continue to log cases and will log disputed interpretations pulled from final decisions, omitting names.  Pam Keller observed that this would note that in that session there was an interpretation and the chair could find it.  The committee agreed to table the amendment.

New Business

None
There was no further business.  The meeting was adjourned at 4:15 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Maureen Altman

 


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today
Governance Meetings