International Affairs FY2017
International Affairs: This committee works to improving the international dimension of KU by expanding opportunities and monitoring success of incoming international students and by promoting, expanding, and enhancing opportunities for KU students, faculty, and staff to have international experiences.
The Committee on International Affairs shall be composed of four faculty members serving staggered three-year terms, two representatives from the staff serving staggered three-year terms, two student members serving one-year terms, and the following ex-officio, non-voting member the Associate Vice Provost for International Programs or designee.I
Faculty Chair: Celka Straughn, Spencer Museum, (2018)
Faculty: Melissa Birch, Business, (2018)
Faculty: Kapila Silva, Architecture, (2019)
Faculty: Manuela Gonzalez-Bueno, Curriculum & Teaching (2019)
Staff: Alexis McKinley Jones, Study Abroad (2018)
Staff: Seth Brooks, Internal Audit (2019)
Student & Vice Chair: Nobus Oghenekaro, email@example.com
Student: Johnny Wang, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ex-officio, Charles Bankart, Associate Vice Provost, International Programs
FY2017 INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
Approved by SenEx: May 31, 2016
Approved by University Senate: September 8, 2016
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx Chair Joe Harrington email@example.com
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 14, 2017 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 14, 2017
- Hear reports on strategic planning and activities from IP units, suggest changes or new directions, and facilitate collaboration among faculty and administrative units.
- Review and provide input on new policies that relate to international research and teaching.
- Identify concerns or issues for discussion and action related to KU's international affairs from students, faculty, and staff.
- Continue to monitor and report on the Academic Accelerator Program and its partnership with Shorelight. Update data reported last year (see attached). Report to SenEx by December 1, 2016.
- Determine ways that the Committee can reach KU faculty, students, and staff in order to identify their concerns regarding International Programs. Ask the units that comprise IP about their concerns or desires for IP.
- Investigate, report, and make recommendations on outreach to international students, both graduate and undergraduate, concerning their experiences at KU in terms of, but not limited to: mental health and overall wellness, housing, academic advising, and campus involvement. Solicit the input of Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) Staff and Student Senate Director of Diversity and Inclusion, as well as international student organizations in this effort.