International Affairs FY2018
International Affairs: This committee works to improving the international dimension of KU by expanding opportunities and monitoring success of incoming international students and by promoting, expanding, and enhancing opportunities for KU students, faculty, and staff to have international experiences.
The Committee on International Affairs shall be composed of four faculty members serving staggered three-year terms, two representatives from the staff serving staggered three-year terms, two student members serving one-year terms, and the following ex-officio, non-voting member the Associate Vice Provost for International Programs or designee.
Faculty Chair: Celka Straughn, Spencer Museum, (2018)
Faculty: Melissa Birch, Business, (2018)
Faculty: Kapila Silva, Architecture, (2019)
Faculty: Manuela Gonzalez-Bueno, Curriculum & Teaching (2019)
Staff: Pallavi Singh, Achievement & Assessment Inst (2020)
Staff: Seth Brooks, Internal Audit (2019)
Student & Vice Chair: Paola Alor, email@example.com
Student: Farah Salabila, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ex-officio, Charlie Bankart, Associate Vice Provost, International Programs
Approved by SenEx: June 1, 2017
Approved by University Senate: September 7, 2017
· For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx Chair Suzanne Shontz email@example.com
· Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site
· If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 13, 2018 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
· Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 13, 2018.
1. Promote all appropriate means of communication with International Students, Faculty and Staff, with special emphasis on seeking information from them about their needs and concerns.
2. Report on and give recommendations on how International Students are made aware of various polices, such as Conceal and Carry. Due November 15, 2017.
3. Report on and make recommendations on how the University may better accommodate access of International Student’s to supportive services. February 15, 2018
4. Hear reports on strategic planning and activities from IP units, suggest changes or new directions, and facilitate collaboration among faculty and administrative units.
5. Review and provide input on new policies that relate to international research and teaching.
6. Identify concerns or issues for discussion and action related to KU’s international affairs from students, faculty, and staff.
Specific Charges: None