Faculty Rights Board FY2014
Faculty Rights Board (FRB) This board is an adjudicatory body that hears disputes and makes recommendations concerning alleged violations of faculty rights, including academic freedom, tenure and related rights, and procedural safeguards in university processes.
Membership: five tenured members of the Faculty. One member with a Juris Doctorate degree, two members from the faculty at large, and a representative from the AAUP shall serve staggered three-year terms. A representative from the Faculty Executive Committee shall serve a one-year term
Chair: Steven Maynard-Moody, School of Public Affairs & Administration (2016)
FacEx Rep: Jonathan Mayhew, Spanish & Portuguese (2014)
Bill Westerbeke, Law (2015)
Jonathan Clark, History, AAUP representative (2015)
Delores Ringer, Theatre, (2014)
FY-14 FACULTY RIGHTS BOARD
Approved by FacEx: June 17, 2013
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 12, 2013
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx chair Chris Steadham at email@example.com.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by 03/25/14 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com. Please include the names of committee members and submit the report by April 1, 2014. If the committee still expects to conduct business after April 1, please submit a report by April 1 and later submit any addenda that may be appropriate.
- Hear promptly all concerns and claims brought to the attention of the committee by members of the faculty regarding faculty rights, including promotion, tenure, non-reappointment, and academic freedom, pursuant to Article XV, Section 3 of the University Senate Code and Article VI of the FSRR. Report issues or problems of concern to governance to FacEx, with due regard for the confidentiality of individual cases (ongoing).
- Drawing upon the work of the FY13 Article VI Task Force, consider how to provide increased information to faculty and others about procedures and grounds for appeal of negative tenure decisions. Report to FacEx by December 2, 2013.
- Be prepared to revisit policies and procedures for faculty dismissal proceedings, former proposed FSRR 7.3.4, and related issues.
- Be prepared to revisit the Faculty Code of Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct and related issues, including the possible preparation of a “flow chart” to clarify the appropriate jurisdiction and procedures for access for various types of faculty complaints or appeals (for example, the Faculty Rights Board, or the University Judicial Board, or a school committee).
No actions were taken in FY2014
No actions were taken in FY2014