Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities FY2016
Faculty Rights, Privileges and Responsibilities (FRPR):This committee monitors the implementation of policies concerning faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities, reviews and develops policy proposals on these issues, and communicates with faculty concerning their rights, privileges, and responsibilities.
Membership: 8 members of the Faculty serving staggered three year terms.
Chair: Kirk McClure, Urban Planning (2016)
Mary Banwart, Communications Studies (2018)
Sean Seyer, Humanities & Western Civ (2018)
Dean Williams, Institute for Lifespan Studies, (2018)
Nancy Kinnersley, EECS, (2017)
Amalia Monroe-Gulick, Libraries, (2016)
Rick Hale, Aerospace Engineering, (2016)
Laura Hines, Law (2016)
Approved by FacEx: June 2, 2015
Approved by Faculty Senate: September 10, 2015
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Tom Beisecker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 22, 2016 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and submit the final report by April 15, 2016.
As circumstances require:
- Monitor the implementation of university policies related to the rights and responsibilities of the faculty, including the following general areas (1) appointments, promotions, granting of tenure, and non-reappointments; (2) merit evaluations, rewards and sabbatical leaves; (3) protection of the faculty’s right to privacy; and (4) intellectual property. Review all current policy statements regarding these matters to ensure that they are adequate, appropriate, and readily available to all faculty members. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Respond to inquiries and address issues regarding faculty rights, privileges, and responsibilities (as they arise).
- Communicate with representatives of the AAUP regarding their concerns relating to faculty rights, privileges and responsibilities. Report issues, problems, and recommendations to FacEx (ongoing).
- Monitor the implementation of the KU Core Curriculum, including a follow-up survey. Report issues to FacEx.
- Assess the relationship of UCCC to Faculty Governance. Make recommendations if appropriate to ensure faculty have appropriate input in the development and supervision of academic requirements.
- Construct a general statement for inclusion in the Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations which will mitigate conflicts of interest in all hearings related to faculty members discipline and/or dismissal. Report to FacEx by December 1, 2015.
- Consider, then if appropriate, propose the inclusion of the AAUP 1970 Interpretative Statement in FSRR 6.1.2 to FacEx.
- Consider, then if appropriate, propose the inclusion of the AAUP 1958 Statement on Procedural Standards in Faculty Dismissal Proceedings currently located in http://policy.ku.edu/provost/FRB-appeals-procedure-for-dismissal (or other appropriate location within the FSRRs) to FacEx.
- Consider, then if appropriate, propose the inclusion of the AAUP 1975 Statement on Teaching Evaluation in FSRR 188.8.131.52 (or other appropriate location within the FSRRs) to FacEx.
Report to FacEx by December 1, 2015.