Faculty Research FY2018
This committee monitors and communicates with administration personnel and governance bodies concerning support for and policies concerning faculty research activities, including the allocation of GRF funds, the implementation of the restricted research policy, and other issues affecting the research environment at KU.
Membership: Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies; twelve members of the Faculty serving staggered three-year terms, with not more than one member of any department; one graduate student member elected by the Executive Committee of the Graduate Student Council, who shall participate only in the policy-making functions of the committee; and the Associate Vice Provost for Research who shall be a non‑voting member and who shall serve as secretary of the committee.
Chair: Ivana Radovanovic, Anthropology (2019)
Sarah Robins, Philosophy (2020)
Nyla Branscombe, Psychology, (2018)
Ron Hui, EECS, (2018)
Bozenna Pasik-Duncan, Math (2018)
James Thorp, Kansas Biological Survey (2019)
Yan Bing Zhang, Communication Studies (2019)
John Keating, Economics (2019)
Diane Fourny, Humanities (2019)
Sherri Brown, Libraries (2020)
Becci Akin, Social Welfare (2020)
Peter Bobkowski, Journalism (2020)
John Colombo, Interim Vice Chancellor for Research
Ex-officio: Rodolfo Torres, Associate Vice Chancellor Research
Graduate Student Representative: TBD
Approved by FacEx: 6/8/17
Approved by Faculty Senate: 9/7/17
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with FacEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact FacEx Chair Amalia Monroe-Gulick, email@example.com.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site.
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, FacEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 6, 2018 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com, and submit the final report by April 16, 2018.
- FY2019: Monitor the administration of the General Research Fund (GRF) and make recommendations, as needed, to ensure its effectiveness and appropriate utilization. Report to FacEx by 3/8/19.
- Monitor the execution of the University’s Restricted Research Policy (Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations, Article IX) in handling requests for exceptions.
- Monitor the implementation of policies and procedures for determining which proposals will go forward in cases where the number of grant applications that may be submitted from the University is limited. Identify problems or concerns, and report issues and recommendations to FacEx.
1. Reevaluate the allocation method for the GRF (see analysis in FSRC FY17 Final Report).