• Home
  • FacEx-Faculty Senate Exeuctive Committee 10/27/15

FacEx-Faculty Senate Exeuctive Committee 10/27/15

October 27, 2015 - 3:00pm
33 Strong Hall

(This meeting may be electronically recorded.)

  I.        Announcements

 II.       Approval of October 6, 2015 minutes

III.       Report of Faculty Senate President Tom Beisecker

IV.       Report of University Senate President Mike Williams

V.       Speaker: Paul Atchley, Associate Dean of Online and Professional Education CLAS.  Discussion about student success practices in the online programs

VI.    Old Business

VII.    New Business



Letter regarding On-line courses




Approved November 10, 2015


MEMBERS PRESENT: Tom Beisecker, Mike Williams, Pam Keller, Joe Harrington, Ron Barrett-Gonzalez, Amalia Monroe-Gulick,


ALSO PRESENT: Maureen Altman, Kathy Reed, University Governance; Amy Smith, Policy Office; Evan Riggs, University Daily Kansan

Faculty Senate President and FacEx Chair Tom Beisecker called the meeting to order and asked for announcements. 

MINUTES for October 6, 2015 were approved


Beisecker distributed the draft of the KBOR Policy on Weapons Possession to be reviewed by FacEx members in preparation for discussion in SenEx and University Senate.  KBOR’s deadline for comments from the six campuses is Nov 13.  KBOR hopes to have it out in December or January.  He noted that this isn’t a brand new policy and explained that the underlined section is new proposed changes.

Beisecker said he hasn’t heard from FRPR but Amalia Monroe-Gulick who is on the committee confirmed FRPR will meet their November 1 deadline to report their comments on the administration’s latest version of the Faculty Code.  Beisecker explained that FacEx will review FRPR’s recommendations which will then be taken to Faculty Senate.  He noted that this may necessitate additional meetings. 

Beisecker announced that there won’t be a Faculty Senate meeting on November 5.


Adding to Beisecker’s comments about the draft of the KBOR Policy on Weapons Possession, Williams said that the Ad Hoc Weapons Committee will go over the draft at their meeting tomorrow.  It will be reviewed by SenEx at the Tuesday November 3 meeting, and then will be discussed at the Thursday November 5 University Senate meeting.   If necessary, there will be time to look at it again at FacEx on November 10 as well as SenEx on November 17 before the KBOR meeting on November 18.  Responding to Ron Barrett-Gonzalez’s question Williams confirmed that we do have access to counsel to clarify any confusing legal language.  He said that the policy is targeting the distinction between open and concealed carry, explaining that it will still be illegal to expose a weapon inside a public building even after the July 1, 2017 date.  Williams hadn’t anticipated KBOR moving as quickly as they are on the issue and noted that the draft deadline will expedite the Ad Hoc Weapons Committee’s timeline.  He reported that he has been in contact with Vice Chancellor Caboni of Public Affairs; the goal is to stay in parallel with Caboni on this issue.

Paul Atchley, Associate Dean of Online and Professional Education, College of arts & Sciences.  Discussion about student success practices in the online programs

Atchley stated that he wanted to clarify questions past and present.  He explained that since online students are the most at risk of dropping out, his office (specifically Samantha Montague the Online Program Coordinator) makes a practice of reaching out to them to make sure they succeed.   He emphasized that the intention is definitely NOT to evaluate instructors but to mentor and advise, adding that they have achieved a 95% success rate largely through this process.  In regard to Chair John Hoopes concerns that he was soliciting student evaluations of a particular online teacher (Writer’s note: expressed in an email to Tom Beisecker which was discussed at the October 6 FacEx meeting), Atchley said that there was a misunderstanding about this process which he explained was the result of his not communicating information to Dr. Hoopes and the instructor.  He had intended to distribute a document to outline his plans but since there were difficulties with My Success some of the information wasn’t communicated, particularly to the instructor and Hoopes who were new and hadn’t received earlier information.  He added that Mary Lee Hummert agreed that he hadn’t been doing evaluations.  He feels distributing the document (attached) which he distributed to the committee will improve future communication. 

Atchley said that because mentorship is so important for online students, he and Samantha Montague will continue to ask students how the semester is going and if the instructor is meeting their needs. In the ensuing discussion FacEx members expressed concerns about third party monitoring and taking the monitoring role away from professors.  Beisecker questioned how much the instructor will be informed about external contact.  Atchley answered that it is in the document.  Beisecker felt the document should be sharpened more.   Several felt the instructor should be told about feedback.  Atchley explained that sometimes the problem was simply a design issue, citing the example of an instructor setting a 5:00 pm deadline for a paper for nontraditional students whose schedules are usually different from traditional students.  He added that since all students were being asked for feedback no one faculty member was being singled out.  However, there was a concern that if negative comments about an instructor are conveyed to the instructor’s chair that seems to constitute an evaluation in some way; the feedback itself influences the chair and the student’s evaluation.  The suggestion was made that each unit be brought in from the beginning; that the online office should get buy in from everyone.

Atchley agreed that the instructor should be primary and that students should be asked for feedback multiple times and in multiple ways throughout the semester.  He pointed out that good work is being done in the online mentoring plan and that the document is important to bringing in units and communicating online procedures.  Atchley noted that the program is working well in Journalism and that the Psychology Department has signed off on the document.  He expressed that the online process isn’t really any different from what other administrators are doing in monitoring student success and suggested FacEx contact Sara Rosen with their concerns to document general advising processes.

In conclusion Beisecker said that FacEx may want to discuss this further at another meeting.  Atchley agreed that as additional success processes are being used, for example Starfish and the Student Success Collaborative, FacEx should be looking at the issue.

Old Business

New Business

Since she wasn’t able to attend KUAAP’s presentation at the October 8 University Senate meeting, Monroe-Gulick attended the October 21 KUAAP Town Hall meeting and asked the committee about something Sara Rosen said at the meeting.  Monroe-Gulick said that, in answer to her question about AEC’s relationship with KUAAP, Rosen said that all international students would come through the program. Since this wasn’t mentioned at University Senate, and seemed questionable to everyone, Beisecker said he would follow up on it.

Action: Beisecker will follow up about the question AEC students in the KUAAP program.

Evan Riggs said he attended today’s meeting to learn about KBOR Policy on Weapons Possession policy which wasn’t discussed and asked if he could contact someone for more information.  Mike Williams said Evan could contact him.

No further business.

The meeting adjourned to a closed session at 4:05

Respectfully submitted

Maureen Altman


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today
Governance Meetings