Academic Policies and Procedures FY2018
Academic Policies and Procedures (AP&P):This committee reviews and develops proposals concerning academic policies at KU, including matters such as the grading system, add and withdrawal policies, and other academic matters relating to the instructional mission of the university and is responsible for holding hearings in cases of program discontinuation.
The Committee on Academic Policies and Procedures shall be composed of seven faculty serving staggered three-year terms, three representatives from the staff serving staggered three-year terms, and three students serving one-year terms. A representative of the Undergraduate Advising Executive Committee (UAEC), appointed by that group, the University Registrar, and the Director of Student Academic Services in the College Of Liberal Arts & Sciences, shall serve as ex-officio, non-voting members.
Chair: Karen Moeller, Pharmacy Practice, (2018)
Faculty: Lea Currie, Libraries, Faculty (2018)
Faculty: Mohamed El-Hodiri, Economics (2018)
Faculty: Joo Ok Kim, American Studies, (2019)
Faculty: Martin Nedbal, Music (2020)
Faculty: Joe Walden, Business (2020)
Faculty: Monica Simonsen, Special Education (2020) (need to skype in for meetings)
Staff: Sarah Jean Coughlan, Public Safety (2019)
Staff: Matt Deakyne, IT (2020)
Student & Vice Chair: Jasmine Fillnore, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student: Trisha Decker email@example.com
Graduate Student: To Be Determined
Ex-officio, non-voting: Jason O’Connor, Business, Undergraduate Advising Executive Committee
, University Registrar designee
Karen Ledom, Director of Student Academic Services in the CLAS
FY2018 ACADEMIC POLICIES & PROCEDURES COMMITTEE (AP&P) CHARGES
Approved by SenEx: June 1, 2017
Approved by University Senate: September 7, 2017
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx Chair Suzanne Shontz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 13, 2018 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and submit the final report by April 13, 2018.
1. Be prepared to respond to SenEx requests for reviews of academic policy issues. (ongoing)
2. Monitor proposals for academic program restructuring and discontinuance, hold hearings, and follow other procedures in accordance with Article VIII of the University Senate Rules and Regulations. Report issues or recommendations for action to SenEx. (ongoing)
3. Consider input from Student Senate on desired changes to academic policies. (ongoing)
4. FY2021 Committee – Review the University of Kansas’ Financial Exigency policy found in USRR, Art VII. (See Governance Office for information.) It was last reviewed by AP&P in FY16 and they did not suggest any changes at that time. USRR 7.5.1 states that “Every five years after the official acceptance of this document by the Chancellor, it shall be reviewed by the University administration and by AP&P. Either group may then suggest revisions to the document.” Any changes to the policy would ultimately go to the University Senate for a vote.
1. Review the proposed USRR 1.4.6 on student exam exception policy for life circumstances proposed by the Student Senate.
2. Continue to monitor and report on the Academic Accelerator Program and its partnership with Shorelight. Update data reported last year. Report to SenEx by December 1, 2017.
3. Working with the IT Security Officer, AP&P should establish protocols to ensure maintenance of individual privacy in any changes to technology implementation.