Academic Policies and Procedures FY2017
Academic Policies and Procedures (AP&P):This committee reviews and develops proposals concerning academic policies at KU, including matters such as the grading system, add and withdrawal policies, and other academic matters relating to the instructional mission of the university and is responsible for holding hearings in cases of program discontinuation.
The Committee on Academic Policies and Procedures shall be composed of seven faculty serving staggered three-year terms, three representatives from the staff serving staggered three-year terms, and three students serving one-year terms. A representative of the Undergraduate Advising Executive Committee (TUAEC), appointed by that group, the University Registrar, and the Director of Student Academic Services in the College Of Liberal Arts & Sciences, shall serve as ex-officio, non-voting members.
Chair: Dean Stetler, Molecular Biosciences (2017)
Faculty: Lea Currie, Libraries, Faculty (2018)
Faculty: Mohamed El-Hodiri, Economics, Faculty (2018)
Faculty: Andrea Herstowski, Design (2017)
Faculty: Karen Moeller, Pharmacy, (2017)
Faculty: Nancy Jo Kepple, Social Welfare, (2019)
Faculty: Joo Ok Kim, American Studies, (2019)
Staff: Morgan Swartzlander, College Office of Graduate Affairs, Staff (2017)
Staff: Michael Wade Smith, Business (2018)
Staff: Sarah Jean Coughlan, Public Safety (2019)
Student & Vice Chair: Jack Stevens, firstname.lastname@example.org
Student: Chance Maginness, email@example.com
Ex-officio, non-voting: Jason O’Connor, Business, Undergraduate Advising Executive Committee
Cindy Sanders, University Registrar or designee
Karen Ledom, Director of Student Academic Services in the CLAS
FY2017 ACADEMIC POLICIES & PROCEDURES COMMITTEE (AP&P)
Approved by SenEx: May 31, 2016
Approved by University Senate: September 8, 2016
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx Chair Joe Harrington firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (email@example.com) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by March 14, 2017 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and submit the final report by April 14, 2017.
- Be prepared to respond to SenEx requests for reviews of academic policy issues. (ongoing)
- Monitor proposals for academic program restructuring and discontinuance, hold hearings, and follow other procedures in accordance with Article VIII of the University Senate Rules and Regulations. Report issues or recommendations for action to SenEx. (ongoing)
- Consider input from Student Senate on desired changes to academic policies. (ongoing)
- FY2021 Committee - Review the University of Kansas’ Financial Exigency policy found in USRR, Art VII. (See Governance Office for information.) It was last reviewed by AP&P in FY16 and they did not suggest any changes at that time. USRR 7.5.1 states that “Every five years after the official acceptance of this document by the Chancellor, it shall be reviewed by the University administration and by AP&P. Either group may then suggest revisions to the document.” Any changes to the policy would ultimately go to the University Senate for a vote.
- Working with the IT Security Officer, AP&P should establish protocols to assure maintenance of individual privacy in any changes to technology implementation.