Academic Policies and Procedures FY2015
Academic Policies and Procedures (AP&P):This committee reviews and develops proposals concerning academic policies at KU, including matters such as the grading system, add and withdrawal policies, and other academic matters relating to the instructional mission of the university and is responsible for holding hearings in cases of program discontinuation.
Chair: Michael Williams, Journalism (2017)
Faculty Member, TBD, (2015)
Anthony Walton, Geology, (2015)
Carl Luchies, Mechanical Engineering Faculty, (2016)
Dean Stetler, Molecular Biosciences (2017)
Anita Herstowski, Design(2017)
Karen Moeller, Pharmacy, (2017)
Becky Linville, firstname.lastname@example.org, Student, Vice Chair
Alexander Montgomery, email@example.com, Student
Emma Halling, firstname.lastname@example.org, Student
Morgan Swartzlander, College Office of Graduate Affairs (2017)
Randall Brumfield, Undergraduate Advising Center, Undergraduate Studies (2015)
Melodie Ash, University Registrar Office, University Support Staff, (2016)
Jason O’Connor, Business, representative of Provost’s Advising Leadership Team
Brian McDow, University Registrar or designee
FY-15 ACADEMIC POLICIES & PROCEDURES COMMITTEE (AP & P)
Approved by SenEx: May 27, 2014
Approved by University Senate: September 11, 2014
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx Chair Jonathan Mayhew at email@example.com.
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by 3/24/15 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com. Please include the names of committee members and submit the report by April 1, 2015. If the committee still expects to conduct business after April 1, please submit a report by April 1 and later submit any addenda that may be appropriate.
- Be prepared to respond to SenEx requests for reviews of academic policy issues. (ongoing)
- Monitor proposals for academic program restructuring and discontinuance, hold hearings, and follow other procedures in accordance with Article VIII of the University Senate Rules and Regulations. Report issues or recommendations for action to SenEx. (ongoing)
- Consider input from Student Senate on desired changes to academic policies. (ongoing)
- FY2016 Committee - Review the University of Kansas’ Financial Exigency policy found in USRR, Art VII. It was last reviewed by AP&P in FY11 and they did not suggest any changes at that time. USRR 7.5.1 states that “Every five years after the official acceptance of this document by the Chancellor, it shall be reviewed by the University administration and by AP&P. Either group may then suggest revisions to the document.” Any changes to the policy would ultimately go to the University Senate for a vote.
1. Examine the proposed additions to USRR, Article I, Sections 3 & 4, dealing with temporary military leave in light of the rationale for these additions, the concerns raised at the University Senate meeting on April 10, 2014, and any other relevant considerations, and make a recommendation to SenEx by September 19, 2014, as to whether and/or how the language of the additions should be modified.