Academic Policies and Procedures FY2014
Academic Policies and Procedures (AP&P):This committee reviews and develops proposals concerning academic policies at KU, including matters such as the grading system, add and withdrawal policies, and other academic matters relating to the instructional mission of the university and is responsible for holding hearings in cases of program discontinuation.
Chair: Estela Gavosto, Mathematics, (2015)
Anthony Walton, Geology, (2015)
Jennifer Heller, Humanities & Western Civilization (2014)
Suman Mallik, Business, (2014)
Mark Reaney, Theatre (2014)
John Poggio, Psych & Research in Education Faculty (2014)
Carl Luchies, Mechanical Engineering Faculty, (2016)
Hannah Jayne, Student, Vice Chair
Madelynee Lockhart, Student
Anthony Bradley, Student
Larry Fillian, Director CLAS, Unclassified Staff (2015)
Therese Thonus, Writing Center, Unclassified Staff (2014)
Hollyce Morris, Undergraduate Studies, University Support Staff (2015)
Ex-officio, non-voting: Jason O’Connor, Business, representative of Provost’s Advising Leadership Team
Brian McDow, University Registrar or designee
FY-14 ACADEMIC POLICIES & PROCEDURES COMMITTEE
Approved by SenEx: June 10, 2013
Approved by University Senate: September 12, 2013
- For further information or to schedule a meeting with SenEx to discuss charges or the committee’s work, contact SenEx chair Nancy Kinnersley at nkinners@Ku.edu .
- Minutes of each meeting should be e-mailed to the Governance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as they are approved. The minutes will be posted to the Governance web site
- If the committee is recommending a change to university policy or rules, SenEx must officially receive that recommendation by 4/01/14 in order to meet timeline requirements for full review by Governance.
- Please send a report of the committee’s actions on each of the charges, as well as any recommendations the committee wishes to make concerning charges or membership for the following academic year, to University Governance, at email@example.com. Please include the names of committee members and submit the report by April 1, 2014. If the committee still expects to conduct business after April 1, please submit a report by April 1 and later submit any addenda that may be appropriate.
- Be prepared to respond to SenEx requests for reviews of academic-policy issues. (ongoing)
- Monitor proposals for academic program restructuring and discontinuance, hold hearings, and follow other procedures in accordance with Article VIII of the University Senate Rules and Regulations. Report issues or recommendations for action to SenEx. (ongoing)
- Seek input from Student Senate on desired changes to academic policies. (ongoing)
- FY2016 Committee - Review the University of Kansas’ Financial Exigency policy found in USRR, Art VII. It was last reviewed by AP&P in FY11 and they did not suggest any changes at that time. USRR 7.5.1 states that “Every five years after the official acceptance of this document by the Chancellor, it shall be reviewed by the University administration and by AP&P. Either group may then suggest revisions to the document.” Any changes to the policy would ultimately go to the University Senate for a vote.
- In consultation with the policy office, continue the process of recommending links among the Policy Library, USRR and FSRR.
- Monitor the implementation of the core curriculum. Identify any issues that need to be addressed.